[SOLVED] Two different sets of RAM of the same brand, frequency & timings

kotka

Prominent
Sep 12, 2018
Hey, I have an ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard, and I have a set of 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2400 CL15 currently installed(in A2 and B2 slots), and I also own a set of 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-2400 CL15. My question is can I install them as well? If so, can I install only one(I would have to remove the CPU cooler to install the 2nd one and I think I'd rather just go with 20GB than go through that hassle). Which slots should they go in, and would it negatively affect my computer's performance in any way(I saw a LTT video in which apparently his PC was slower with 4 sticks than two?)? I have a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU if that matters at all. I tried installing one of them in B1 but that didn't work, PC wouldn't boot. I am a total noob at this!

You did what you could by trying it.
Too bad it was not successful.

Mismatched ram is never guaranteed to work.
And, ryzen is more sensitive to ram than Intel.

Intel does have something called flex mode for ram.
Ram capacity that is matched in each channel will operate in dual channel mode while the odd capacity will operate in single channel mode.
I have not found this flex capability for ryzen.

I think I would not pursue this any more.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
You did what you could by trying it.
Too bad it was not successful.

Mismatched ram is never guaranteed to work.
And, ryzen is more sensitive to ram than Intel.

Intel does have something called flex mode for ram.
Ram capacity that is matched in each channel will operate in dual channel mode while the odd capacity will operate in single channel mode.
I have not found this flex capability for ryzen.

I think I would not pursue this any more.

He put one stick in of course it's not going to work. He needs to put all 4 in or just have 2 sticks. 3 sticks is not going to work.