[SOLVED] Two Hard Drives showing up under Local Disk C: properties, can only access one hard drive.

hefe4711

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
I have a windows 10 PC that I have installed two hard drives on. I have a 500g SSD and a 3tb HD. I can see both in the Device Manager and in BIOS. In Disk Management it only shows the SSD. When I go and look at the local disk properties it is showing both Hard Drives under the C: drive.

I have changed the SATA location of the 2nd Hard Drive and that hasn't fixed anything. I tried to uninstall the 2nd hard drive in the Device Manager, that hasn't worked as well.

How do I change that so I can access my 2nd Hard Drive for storage?

Solution
do this test ssd on the first sata slot on board as boot device and the the 500 one on the other slot then boot and see if this work rmove the 500 and plug in the 3tb in same cable and slot then see if drive been detect and you could acces it if not try to test this 3 tb in another system .

hefe4711

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018

It is a complete new build. I built the computer yesterday and everything is working except for the 2nd hard drive. The SSD is booting up fine with Windows 10.

hefe4711

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018

The SSD is a WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive.

The HD is a WD Black 3TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch.

The Motherboard is a ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan

Interesting.
For the WD Black, try a new SATA cable, different port, and reseating the SATA power cable.

hefe4711

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
I have switched the SATA cables and I have the same issue. I have unplugged the SSD and just left the HD in, and the system didn't boot, which makes sense since it doesn't have any OS on it. When I tried different ports and when I am in BIOS it shows both drives in whatever SATA port it is attached to.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
do this test ssd on the first sata slot on board as boot device and the the 500 one on the other slot then boot and see if this work rmove the 500 and plug in the 3tb in same cable and slot then see if drive been detect and you could acces it if not try to test this 3 tb in another system .

Solution

hefe4711

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
I finally got a test hard drive and it showed up as a 2nd hard drive. Even though the other hard drive was brand new, it must have had an issue. I didn't think it would because it was showing in BIOS, but something must have been wrong with it.

Thanks for all your help.