[SOLVED] Two Homes One Network Pt.2

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
I had another thread about how to connect two houses on one network and decided to go with a fiber line based on different recommendations. Thanks to all who gave input! Conduit is buried and the fiber line is in, now to set up the network and connect it all.

I haven't gotten all of the hardware yet, but here is what I'm thinking:
  • Router - TP Link AC2600 (already have)
  • Switch1- Dell 2724
  • Switch2- Dell 2724
  • Router2 for AP (either real AP or second TP LinkAC2600 in AP mode)
  • OM3 fiber cable - LC
  • 1.25Gb SFP modules - LC
I'm a total newb at this and came up with a diagram for everything I intend to hook up.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2muKD7h

I have so many questions even after trying to research this on my own, like:
  • Any issues with this configuration?
  • Can I run the switches in unmanaged mode?
  • If House 1 doesn't need a 24 port switch, can I use a simple "converter" or do the switches need to be the same?
  • Can I get away with not having a dedicated PC to run this?
Thanks in advance again!

Solution
You are over thinking this.

Just pretend the fiber is a ethernet cable. You do not need managed switches or anything to run them. Most switches with fiber sfp have some ability to be managed just because it is not a expensive feature compared to added sfp support.

You can use a fiber converter if you want. Be very sure it supports the same type of SFP. Pretty much this means the optic need to run an the same frequency but you only see 850 and 1300 unless you buy something strange.

Just pretend the fiber is a ethernet cable. You do not need managed switches or anything to run them. Most switches with fiber sfp have some ability to be managed just because it is not a expensive feature compared to added sfp support.

You can use a fiber converter if you want. Be very sure it supports the same type of SFP. Pretty much this means the optic need to run an the same frequency but you only see 850 and 1300 unless you buy something strange.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I had another thread about how to connect two houses on one network and decided to go with a fiber line based on different recommendations. Thanks to all who gave input! Conduit is buried and the fiber line is in, now to set up the network and connect it all.

I haven't gotten all of the hardware yet, but here is what I'm thinking:
  • Router - TP Link AC2600 (already have)
  • Switch1- Dell 2724
  • Switch2- Dell 2724
  • Router2 for AP (either real AP or second TP LinkAC2600 in AP mode)
  • OM3 fiber cable - LC
  • 1.25Gb SFP modules - LC
I'm a total newb at this and came up with a diagram for everything I intend to hook up.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2muKD7h

I have so many questions even after trying to research this on my own, like:
  • Any issues with this configuration?
  • Can I run the switches in unmanaged mode?
  • If House 1 doesn't need a 24 port switch, can I use a simple "converter" or do the switches need to be the same?
  • Can I get away with not having a dedicated PC to run this?
Thanks in advance again!
Issues? -- The second house has complete access to the first house devices. Is that what is desired?
Yes the switches can be run unmanaged.
Could you use a media converter in house 1? Yes. As long as you get a 1Gb mulit-mode (SX) converter.
There is nothing to manage in your diagram so a dedicated PC is not required for network chores.

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Yeah, I tend to do that, but I'm not too familiar with this yet. Sounds like this setup should work so I need to start sourcing things.

One last question. The Dell 2724 switch recommended can be found at decent prices used on Ebay. Are used units still pretty reliable? Anything to look out for or do they need to be reconfigured at all?

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, I tend to do that, but I'm not too familiar with this yet. Sounds like this setup should work so I need to start sourcing things.

One last question. The Dell 2724 switch recommended can be found at decent prices used on Ebay. Are used units still pretty reliable? Anything to look out for or do they need to be reconfigured at all?
ANY used equipment should be factory reset by YOU prior to any use. They should default to unmanaged switches.