Question Two hot wires ?

You'd better measure the voltage. Typically red means either 240v across to the black, or it's a traveler line to a 3-way switch. White is neutral in house wiring and green or bare is ground.

If it is 240v then just check the label on every PSU and power brick you intend to plug into such an outlet to see if it's compatible. The correct way is to use 240v-only outlets and plugs like NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 but a shocking number of 240v capable appliances from Asia ship with a 120v 5-15 plug and give you a dangerous adapter in the box to 6-50 or 14-50. They will happily pull >50A from 120v until the breaker trips and worse, it's all too easy for some idiot to plug a 120v device into the adapter.

Anything that is "double insulated" does not require a plug with a ground and most laptops fall into this category.

Reactions: Actonm
Oct 31, 2022
The breaker uses ground green and yellow wire not the outlets
and my pc case was shocking me slightly and the first thing occurred my mind was that the outlets are only using red and black wires.

And I use ant eSports 550 w as psu which shocks me if I touch it's surface at first I thought it was only the scratched area of the psu but now the whole case of the psu is shocking me.

If you have green and yellow, red and black wires then you have pre-Eurozone single-phase wiring in the UK installed between 1977 and 2004 (or India) and the black is supposed to be neutral, not hot.

Don't you think specifying where you are is important, given that everywhere in the world uses different colors?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
Oh sorry 😑😑 I live in Somalia Eastern Africa and IAM not electric savvy so I was just thinking maybe the outlet is using two hot wires which is dangerous

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Color doesn't mean anything. At all. The only consideration for Any color is that it signifies a current carrying wire. Green is the only exception, it's generally understood that Green signifies Ground. Black, red, yellow, blue, brown, gray, orange, striped, White are all considered 'hot' as they all carry current.
And I use ant eSports 550 w as psu which shocks me if I touch it's surface at first I thought it was only the scratched area of the psu but now the whole case of the psu is shocking me.
That means your plug, somewhere, lacks a Ground. It can be at the plug, any plug upstream, the house panel or even the service main may have lost bond. Many older US houses, pre-70's, didn't use a ground for many circuits, they used a 2 prong system and ground was basically useless and often cut off. The only circuits that did maintain a ground were the 240v circuits for dryer, water heater, stove, central heat etc as they used a 3 prong system.

So your lack of ground can be due to several probabilities, depending on age, wiring use, who made up the connections, quality of workmanship, weather, environment.....

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP

The weird thing is I can't measure the voltage that the outlets using i tried measuring it with multimeter it reads zero but when I connect the outlet with extension cord then the voltage reads between 212v upto 220 volts AC

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless switched, romex type residential wiring generally contains 3 conductors. 2 current carrying and 1 ground. The circuit starts at the house panel, then daisy-chains to each successive outlet in the circuit, so each outlet is wired in parallel. The US uses a start/stop approach, the UK uses a circular approach. At least one of those wires will be landed to a breaker, if a 115v system, both will be landed to a double breaker if a 230v system.

This also means that in every outlet box, there's a ground coming from panel to previous outlet and a ground going to the next outlet in continuity.

It's quite hard to just 'add' a ground to any one particular outlet. It's far easier to trace the wire path, find where the 'break' in the continuous ground is, and fix it. This can be done by the homeowner, but can often require someone with electrical knowledge and understanding to find and fix. As said prior, the only time you'll not/rarely find a ground is in a very old building, as they served no purpose at that time, being a simple 2 prong, not the modern 3 prong outlets.

To fix that kind of wiring problem and bring the wiring upto current code requirements would entail a complete reworking of the entire electrical system in the house. So hopefully, your wiring is new enough where backtracking the circuit would reveal where exactly you dropped the ground.

Breakers and switches are always (or should be) on the phase wire, exception is on power system with lets say 3 phase 110v where 2 phases give 220v or 3 phase 220v system where 2 phases give 380v. Ground/earth and a phase should show same voltage as phase to neutral.

Oct 31, 2022
Thanks everyone for clear explanations yeah I did some search in the house and I found that the grounding wire is only installed in the breaker and none of the outlets in house used or even came close for using it
The cable that is going inside the house and that's connected all of the house outlets doesn't even have green wire so the ground wire is dropped or left in the breaker
Wow that's some headache to cope with

Oct 31, 2022
I bought a gaming pc like a 2 weeks ago every thing was working like solid 6 days nothing happened I stress tested the CPU with cinebench like 8mins
motherboard GPU voltages were ok I even played watch dogs 1 like ultra sittings everything was ok used hwmonitor to monitor system usage voltage temperature also used crystal disk info to monitor the SSD everything was ok until on the seventh day I was on chrome watching some coding tutorial and chrome and viscose were the only apps that I was using and I tried going to taskbar and it freezed on the lunch screen and when I tried to reset the system clicking the reset button on the case it gave me the black screen not rebooting or shutting down
At some point of when I was searching the culprit I came across like my case , air cooler, PSU all having this electric shock when I rup back side of my hand
To them
I assembled the system outside the case and everything worked , system started and there was no problems
So I can't point out what's causing the leakage of electricity is it the motherboard power supply or the groundless outlet

Oct 31, 2022
So if it's over current over voltage or under current or voltage then why it didn't happen all those six days of constant gameplay some stress test and there was even a power surge but that didn't affect the system it was working after the surge and I was gaming on it
The whole situation is weird

So if it's over current over voltage or under current or voltage then why it didn't happen all those six days of constant gameplay some stress test and there was even a power surge but that didn't affect the system it was working after the surge and I was gaming on it
The whole situation is weird
It's not "Weird", Ground/Earth is safety feature and does not regulate voltage. If you have an electric water heater and heating element burns thru results can be shocking (literary). If there was a short in PC's PSU you could have free fireworks and melted components with fire involved.
So, whatever regulations, all appliances with ground contacts should be grounded for safety reasons.

Oct 31, 2022
I know that no ground in the outlets will cause problems like this
But I didn't had that problem in the first 6 days now I can't touch even the case and it's just keep getting worse

Ralston18

Titan
Google Safe Browsing is blocking the image for some reason.

Post the image again using imgur (www.imgur.com).

PSU's are not made to be repaired and any attempts to do so could end badly in a number of different ways.

May be a loose connection somewhere. PC works for a while, shorts, and you get shocked. However, it does not take much for electricity to find some other path that will lead to more deadly or catastrophic results.

There is only one option: Get a qualified electrician to check your home's electrical system and the wiring serving the PC.

Especially if being shocked and the shocks are getting worse. Unplug the computer in the meantime. Do not use it.

daadir

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 30, 2022
Google Safe Browsing is blocking the image for some reason.

Post the image again using imgur (www.imgur.com).

PSU's are not made to be repaired and any attempts to do so could end badly in a number of different ways.

May be a loose connection somewhere. PC works for a while, shorts, and you get shocked. However, it does not take much for electricity to find some other path that will lead to more deadly or catastrophic results.

There is only one option: Get a qualified electrician to check your home's electrical system and the wiring serving the PC.

Especially if being shocked and the shocks are getting worse. Unplug the computer in the meantime. Do not use it.

thanks man for the advice i will surely do that this is the link
View: https://imgur.com/a/FKnrQ90

Ralston18

Titan
@daadir

The black coil at the bottom of the second image appears to have heat related damage. Looks melted and charred.

You need to immediately shutdown and unplug the entire setup, remove the PSU, and responsibly recycle the PSU.

And get an electrician to check the home wiring.

The damage may have been caused by some home wiring problem. And that "problem" may now be looking for something else to melt and burn.

Oct 31, 2022
Thanks again man I had my suspicions on the psu because it was cheap PSU I bought like 24 dollars around that
and also the system was working fine like the first week and all kind of weird errors not software errors but hardware errors force shutdown random restarting when editing videos but the strange thing is that it was working fine while I was gaming on high settings not ultra and doing some benchmarks
I will ask an electrician to take look at the wiring and the electrical safety of the house

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022
Guys thanks for the suggestion and advices one last question can I ground my room outlet like connecting grounding wire to the third prong of the outlet and connecting them to the ground by ground rod outside the house will that work as ground

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS