Question Two Internet Connections on the same Network

Aug 8, 2022
Hello:

Currently - I have two internet Hitron Modem's from two separate ISP's (Rogers, Cogent). The Cable modems are hooked up to an Unmanaged Netgear Switch. I have four computers hooked up to this switch. The ISP's seem to jump back and forth between the computers.

Is there an easy way to have two cable ISP's on one network given the following requirements:

1) ISP 1 (Rogers) is always used for computer 1 and computer 2

2) ISP 2 (Cogent) is always used for computer 3 and computer 4

3) All four computers have access to each other

Is there a way to use a "simple" router(s) to accomplish this? Can I buy a specific piece of hardware that will accomplish what I require? Or let me know what is required if this is complex?

I'm not looking for load balancing or anything like this (ie - if ISP1 goes down then computer 1 and 2 will not have internet - they will not switch over to ISP2)

thank you

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What do you mean by "internet connections": different ISPs? Different websites?

What specifically is "1" and "2"?

Update your post to include what you believe to be "an easy way". Or any "way" at all and why.

Also include more information about your network environment: ISP, modem, router(s), and connected network devices,

My initial thought was that you are asking about sub-netting.

On the other hand are you trying to work with two different incoming ISP services to one router?

Clarification needed.

Aug 8, 2022
What do you mean by "internet connections": different ISPs? Different websites?

What specifically is "1" and "2"?

Update your post to include what you believe to be "an easy way". Or any "way" at all and why.

Also include more information about your network environment: ISP, modem, router(s), and connected network devices,

My initial thought was that you are asking about sub-netting.

On the other hand are you trying to work with two different incoming ISP services to one router?

Clarification needed.
thanks. Updated

Your problem is the DHCP server is running on both routers and they are fighting over the gateway IP I suspect.

So the simplest way to do this is let one router run standard. Lets say it has IP 192.168.1.1. On the other router disable the dhcp server and assign the lan 192.168.1.2 or if you like 192.168.1.254 or somethings else. Key is you need to prevent the main router from giving that IP to another device by setting the dhcp scope correctly.

So for any device you want to use router 1 you pretty much run as normal. For the device you want to use router 2 you have 2 options. You can manually assign IP addresses to them outside the dhcp scope of router 1 and then key in the gateway of 192.168.1.2. Or you can let the main router assign a IP and then change the gateway with a command. You would do

Route delete 0.0.0.0
Route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2.

You can if you want to spend the time put in more routes and send some IP to 192.168.1.1 and others to 192.168.1.2. This is how you can with very careful planning use both connections on a single machine. You for example could watch netflix on 1 and download games on the other.