[SOLVED] Two ISP? Possible?

cmci2021

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
So I understand that there is a lot of alternatives but a lot of them are not possible in this scenario.

so my girlfriends room is horrible for WiFi. We get continuous drops and complete disconnections with downloads speeds being extremely low especially when there is multiple people on consoles etc. At the same time. The rest of the house is fine for WiFi the room is not situated in the best spot. I am wondering if it is possible for me to purchase my own internet service provider and have it solely in our room with only myself and my girlfriend using it?

I am aware that there is certain things we could do like changing the router, WiFi extenders etc. However certain we wanted to make it easier and just get our own ISP put in. Less meddling about with her family’s current router etc.
Would there be any issues? And would the current landline number be fine? (We wouldn’t need a landline phone just the broadband)

many thanks
Matt

Solution
Do you have options for different providers in the house?
Some ISPs won't do two accounts to the same residence. You'll have to ask them. If you have the option for a different ISP that would make it easier.

kanewolf

Titan
So I understand that there is a lot of alternatives but a lot of them are not possible in this scenario.

so my girlfriends room is horrible for WiFi. We get continuous drops and complete disconnections with downloads speeds being extremely low especially when there is multiple people on consoles etc. At the same time. The rest of the house is fine for WiFi the room is not situated in the best spot. I am wondering if it is possible for me to purchase my own internet service provider and have it solely in our room with only myself and my girlfriend using it?

I am aware that there is certain things we could do like changing the router, WiFi extenders etc. However certain we wanted to make it easier and just get our own ISP put in. Less meddling about with her family’s current router etc.
Would there be any issues? And would the current landline number be fine? (We wouldn’t need a landline phone just the broadband)

many thanks
Matt
Maybe is the best answer anyone can give you. It will depend on the ISP service available to you. Some ISPs will support two independent installs at the same address, some won't. If the rest of the house is using coax for internet, you might be able to get fiber or DSL. You will have to do research on your specific address.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I agree with the above. Check with your ISP about multiple routers in one residence. Check with other providers (DSL/Fiber) to see if that's possible (personally, I don't see any reason why DSL would not be an option in a house with cable internet already installed).

However, probably the best solution (though not likely the easiest) would be to check into the possibility of running Ethernet into that room (perhaps through the attic/crawl space or basement). That's what I ended up doing for my brother's house.

-Wolf sends