Question Two monitors with different resolutions unable to display properly together after restart

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
This one is befuddling me because there are lots of things it can be. Here is a general overview:
GPU: Vega Frontier Edition on Custom Waterloop
Monitor 1: LG 38WN95C-W
Resolution: 3840x1600 120hz 10-bit HDR
DP 2.0 Cable
Monitor 2: Huion Kamvas 24 Pro
Resolution: 1440p 60hz 8-bit
DP 1.4 Cable

The thing is I can't get the monitors to play nice at all. I am not sure if it's a bandwidth issue of the GPU, a different refresh rate issue, or a different resolution issue. As connected right now with some effort I can get them into different operational states, but I can't get it to consistently work.

First state. Both monitors at proper resolution, with Monitor 1's refresh rate down to 75hz which is OK with me but it goes away on reboot.

Second state. After a fresh boot with both monitors on. Monitor 1 is locked as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor(640x480 59.97hz, 6-bit per color channel). Monitor 2 is fine.

Third state. After a fresh boot with only monitor 1 on. Monitor 1 is at the proper resolution. When Monitor 2 is turned on, it is locked as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor.

Fourth state. Both monitors at the proper resolution, with Monitor 1 using SDR. It keeps the settings after reboot, but the brightness and saturation are really high. There is also a lot more white level and black level extinction.

Other things I noticed. When Monitor 2 uses an HDMI cable, Monitor 1 doesn't properly detect upon fresh boot half the time. When Monitor 2 uses a DisplayPort 2.0 cable, it simply is not capable of displaying an image.

Last edited:

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
AMD Ryzen 3800
MSI X370
32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
1TB Samsung 960 Pro

It seems the issue is with AMDs drivers. I got it working for a while by turning off HDR on my main monitor, but then all of a sudden it didn't like that anymore. Right now I am keeping the 2nd monitor off unless needed.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Vega Frontier Edition
If you can properly cool it and give it enough power, it's a bit more powerful than a Vega 64 but behind the Radeon VII. I paired it with an EKWB water block and 360mm Rad, while supplying it with an 850w GPU.
When I was looking into the issue. It looks like it's something wrong with AMDs drivers based on threads in AMDs support forums with people having similar issues with a link failure.