[SOLVED] Two old cards 600W

Apr 28, 2021
My wife is letting me cannibalize her PC cuz she doesn't game anymore and neither do I. I only use my PC for music production now. 4 monitors here I come!

I have a Corsair CX600 PSU with two sets of 6+2 pcie power cables, but my 560 ti is using them both. My wife's card is a 460 ti and also uses two 6+2s. Will I be ok with two splitters or should I upgrade the PSU? I have no intent on gaming and my temps never go above 50c while processing audio.

Hell, could I put her PSU in my tower and run it off that? Hrmm, how would it actually turn on without the mobo.....

Anywho, thanks for any input and have a good one!

Solution
My wife is letting me cannibalize her PC cuz she doesn't game anymore and neither do I. I only use my PC for music production now. 4 monitors here I come!

I have a Corsair CX600 PSU with two sets of 6+2 pcie power cables, but my 560 ti is using them both. My wife's card is a 460 ti and also uses two 6+2s. Will I be ok with two splitters or should I upgrade the PSU? I have no intent on gaming and my temps never go above 50c while processing audio.

Hell, could I put her PSU in my tower and run it off that? Hrmm, how would it actually turn on without the mobo.....

I would be more looking at buying a new quality power supply that can run both cards.

They do make adapters for 2...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I would be more looking at buying a new quality power supply that can run both cards.

They do make adapters for 2 power supplies main end powers your PC the other just turns on the extra power supply mostly used by miners. You could set the extra PSU behind your tower and run the 24 pin cable through a unused PCI=E slot.

EDIT the link shows just what I said.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 28, 2021
Green label, yes. Why would I need a new PSU without even changing parts? I'm not gaming anymore.

So no splitters, bummer. What about bumming off some sata power?

I like the frugalability of the 2nd PSU with that splitter. Hrmm, messy tho. Good food for thought, thanks guys.

USAFRet

Titan
Green label, yes. Why would I need a new PSU without even changing parts? I'm not gaming anymore.

So no splitters, bummer. What about bumming off some sata power?

I like the frugalability of the 2nd PSU with that splitter. Hrmm, messy tho. Good food for thought, thanks guys.
The green label CX600 is a notoriously bad PSU.

I had one.
It died.
And killed the motherboard as it went.
I'm not the only one.

And no, you can't siphon off power from SATA ports to run a GPU. No matter what PSU.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm sorry to hear that. Mines going 9 years old now...

Any budget oriented recommendations for a new PSU?
9 years...it absolutely needs to be replaced.

Start here:

But any recommendation will need requirements.

Your gtx560ti has 3 outputs.
If you have an intel motherboard with integrated graphics, you can probably attach two monitors there.

Regardless, your 600w psu is not strong enough to handle both cards.
Older gen cards are not very power efficient.
Add to that the possibility of damaging everything if the unit should fail under load.

You could try something like a 20w GT 710 which runs on slot power only and consumes about 20w.

Reactions: JonDart
9 years old green labeled CX 600 PSU.

Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems
Corsair | <=600W [green-label]

This is one piece of junk PSU. If that PSU lasted you 9 years it's a freaking miracle.

I recommend you change that PSU asap before it goes pouf and dies with your entire system or worst with your house.

That PSU is about to die. It won't last much longer since it's already over it's time.

Apr 28, 2021
As far as I can tell from what I've researched, the HDMI and one of the DVI ports are tied together. 😑 (Clones) Tell me you've found conflicting info, please, it'd make my life easier.

I might do a cheapo vid card. This cannibalization is proving more involved that what I thought it'd be...

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
What about bumming off some sata power?
Ah that's even worse than the splitters. If the PSU comes with a specific set of connectors it's because it can only supply enough current for those connectors, adding more is just asking for trouble.

Since you already have both cards getting a new power supply would be the most reasonable choice, a new CX650 is decent quality and won't cost you a kidney.

I recommend you change that PSU asap before it goes pouf and dies with your entire system or worst with your house.
I've always wondered how could a faulty power supply escalate to burning down your entire house, I mean you see fire the first thing you do is grab the extinguisher and put it off not say oh well, anyway and leave lol
Even if the PSU fails the chances of something catching fire because of it are like one in a million.

Apr 28, 2021
I've usually got good luck when it comes to computer hardware. Tbh I played WoW hardcore on this PC for 9 months in 2012 then stopped. It was a paper weight for the longest time. It hasn't been continuously ran for 9 years.

I saved a few bucks on the i5 and didn't get integrated graphics...

Think I'll take me chances with the PSU and a 700 series card. Seems to be the most cost effective route. Thanks for the help folks!