Question Two PCs sharing a backup (the backup files themselves, not just drive)

usr1235

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I have a laptop that uses the built-in Windows 10 file history tool to back up to a network drive. I'm getting a new laptop and I plan to point file history to that backup and restore. In the past I have successfully restored from the backup onto a clean install so I know that part works and don't think this should be any different.

I'm going to hang onto the old laptop until I'm sure the new laptop is good to go. How badly will having two different laptops access the same backup mess up stuff? Worst case is I create new files on the new laptop that are then backed up, but then for some reason need to revert to the old laptop. If I fire up the old laptop will it be smart enough to see those new files on the backup and let me "restore" them? I guess I'm basically using file history like a synched cloud drive which probably isn't ideal, but again it'd only be worst case.

Kind of a side question, I'm planning to fire up the laptop when it arrives to make sure it works, then stick in new ram and an ssd, and clean install windows 10 from a usb. I know I could clone it but I figured it might be good to do to dump any weird OEM partitioning and unwanted software. My understanding is that I won't need to enter a product key for this install.

If it's encrypted (my understanding is some mobile win 10 home devices let you encrypt without needing Pro), will that functionality be retained in a clean install?

Lutfij

Titan
When performing a clean install of your OS, always make sure you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation tools. You wont need to enter a product key so long as the laptop comes shipped with a genuine license key for the OS.