Two questions bottleneck and windows bits

SurFac3

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Hello,
I acctualy got two questions:
First I got a medium pc (intel2 quad [2.83 quad,idk name I am not at home to check sadly],4gb ram ddr2,radeon r7 240 4gb oc (idk about mother board) ,the question is that I think I have some bottleneck ,it acctualy lags to much even with new windows,hard it used much or cpu even ram too.. that sucks totally
Second question is that bits shall I get on windows 8.1 32 or 64 for upper system?
Thanks! :D

D

Deleted member 217926

64 bit Windows is best. That system should run Windows 10 just fine. I have it on a much lower end laptop and it's fine.

ajhockey3

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
The difference between windows 64 bit and 32 bit is 32bit can only use 3.8gb of ram (the rest will show not usable in windows) and 64 bit home edition can have upto 128GB of ram. Your bottleneck is probably storage. That build is a little older and you may have a cruddy non optimized HDD. Also if your ram is being all used up and acsessing the page file that would create extreme slowness

SurFac3

Reputable
May 26, 2014
so I should go for 8.1 64 bits and get another ram and hdd? or ?
haven't said why I wanna change win 10 which I am having now , they don't have well optimized drivers and performance it totally slowed down on diferent games ,I am a gamer , for example in win 7 64 bits I succeded in recording with 60 no lag on Continent of ninth while in win 10 with same game sets I cant even have 60 fps I play with 40 and when I use skils It goes down to 20 .. wihich belive me totally sucks ,anyway 64 bis and I should try a new hdd (thought my hdd it slow too idk but I thought that many times so I should give it a try when I get one)

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Well, lets start with the build as it stands. You have a 2.83ghz Core 2 Quad - you probably have the Q9500 series which is an LGA 755 motherboard and was released circa 2010 (about 5-6 years ago).

R7-240 is a 'low end' GPU, so-so FPS rates at about 1080p gaming (30-40 max) at medium settings. No high settings - otherwise you'll drop down even lower. Even the older HD 7770 has double the FPS rates that the R7-240 has. It really is a step up from integrated graphics, but not by much.

Now, what would be causing lag? The CPU isn't bad, it scores about mid-5000 on geekbench - but it's half of what a good Haswell i5 is capable of and is actually about what an i3-3220 can do. That means it's still a 'decent' gaming CPU, but it's getting close to end of life. Upgrading would benefit in both usability, and would also seriously reduce heat and power usage.

The GPU on the other hand, is more likely the culprit. It really is a bottom of the barrel discrete GPU. An R7-260 series would have been MUCH more powerful, and probably a better overall buy.

As for the 32bit vs 64bit question - if you do wind up upgrading your system to something newer, you will definitely benefit from at least 8GB of RAM, which to use all of you would NEED 64bit Windows.

To be honest, I would:

Sell the parts on eBay. All of them.

Then get the following:
i3-4170 CPU ($100)
low cost LGA 1150 motherboard (Gigabyte makes nice ones - try the GA-B85M-HD3 - nice, compact M-ATX board. ($75/ebay)
2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM (8gb total, aim for a name brand if you can) ($30/ebay)
R7-260X if you have a decent PSU OR a GTX-750ti if your PSU is of 'moderate' capabilities. (260x = $70, 750ti = $100 on ebay)

That would give you a much more effective gaming machine without breaking the bank - about $275.00 total.

SurFac3

Reputable
May 26, 2014
I cant do that I am not experienced with seling on ebay and thing I am from Romania and ebay doesn't work here anyway ,I was only wondering why does it lags,i don't have too much time for pc now bc im at college but when I do I play C9 on 1280x1048 and I wanna have 60 fps as I had on win 7, I hoe getting 8.1 on 64 will get me the same performance for this game as win 7 did before upgrade , I am not tasargeting other games only this.when I am done with this I will quit gaming.
So? would win 8.1 give the same performance in this game or gaming as 7 did before upgrade,bc win 10 looks like doesn't ... seems to don't have drivers well optimized
anyway thanks for advice :)
P.S. I only have that r7 240 bc my pc doesn't allow getting bigger videoboard last one was hd 5450 ,check the dims and imagine I cant get bigger one bc they hit in dif things on mainboard. anyway for the game I play r7 240 should get the game to max perform with no fps loss