[SOLVED] Two separate internet provider routers in one house?

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hello there.

So I've been thinking about stuff and I've come to a conclusion that it would be amazing to have a personal internet connection for me, and another one for the rest of the family.

So would it be possible to place two routers from different internet providers next to each other? Or would this throttle the signal?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
seems odd but it's not so unusual where he is to use a cellular plan as internet. it's not as expensive there as it is here and is usually faster overall than what we can get in the US.

so to answer the question, no a second such router even from the same company would not cause any issues at all. though as others have noted, i would not put them right next to each other. and do be sure to set them to different channels, preferrably at least 5 apart. so 1 and 6 or 2 and 7 or 3 and 8 and so on....

considering you plan to use it in a separate room than the main 4k tv. having your personal one in that room would make the most sense so it can be easily wired to the gaming system.
What kind of service do you have - cable, DSL, other? If they are two different types it should work but couldn't have two cable providers (I don't think - might work if they run another physical cable from the local junction box BUT there would have to be an open drop in the box). Couldn't you just get a single faster service? I game while wife watches Netflix and there is zero impact.

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
It's sort of a problem of overall bandwidth, the area I live in doesn't get too much bandwidth from the connection we currently have (40 MBps at BEST, usually 20~ MBPs).
And there is a 4k TV downstairs which ofc really uses a lot of bandwidth.

I am not sure what service you mean, but I am guessing both routers will use a Micro Sim-card

By service I mean does it come in to your house on a coaxial cable provided by a television company, fiber from a telephone company, satellite dish, etc. You would definitely need two routers.

That stinks about your speeds - ours starts at 200Mbps down/10Mbps up.

Yeah, those are cellular hotspots/routers as noted by punkncat. If it says LTE anywhere in the description it's a cell device, not wired broadband internet.

Sure, you can have multiples of those even from the same provider. Each has its own wifi name and password.

Why would you want them to be together if you want your own independent, unmolested bandwidth, seems contradictory.

U only want everything in one box if your intention is for one service as a backup to the other and potentially have it switch automatically if the primary one fails.

Yes you can have your own ISP, but is gonna cost you. Got a few usd$hundreds to spend for installation, running additional cabling etc? Is almost never a technical issue, is MULA.

BlueQuazar1

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Don't waste your money, all you need is a router to piggyback off your internet modem. If your modem is downstairs run an Rj45 ethernet cable to your new router and set up user name and password. One bill instead of 2.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't quite understand this, could explain a bit more "idiot" friendly? :)
If your problem is actually that the 4K streaming is using up all the bandwidth available from your connection, then @BlueQuazar1 's solution wouldn't help at all.

Have you confirmed that your issues only occur when people are streaming? Have you checked whether a wired vs wireless connection makes any difference?

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
If your problem is actually that the 4K streaming is using up all the bandwidth available from your connection, then @BlueQuazar1 's solution wouldn't help at all.

Have you confirmed that your issues only occur when people are streaming? Have you checked whether a wired vs wireless connection makes any difference?
Yes, all of the lag occurs when the TV is doing something.

Also I just want to point out that I am a REALLY competitive gamer, and I also do a bunch of content, so better download/upload speeds would be nice. And also not having to worry about what other people are doing on the internet, e.g downloading something, sending something, etc.

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
This goes way back to my earlier question. WHO is your internet provider and HOW does it get into and out of your house? Is your current router one of those B175s or something else (if so, what)?
My internet provider at the moment is "Telia", it gets into my house through a Micro Sim-Card powered router, which is this (I believe): HUAWEI B525S-23

The net comes into my PC through an Ethernet cable, and the net goes to other parts of the house with wireless WiFi

So we’re back to what I said earlier. This is a cellular router that operates on the mobile phone network, thus the sim card and underwhelming speed.

And yes, if you buy a B175 and get an additional sim card from telia, you can connect to it via ethernet and be on a non-shared connection.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seems odd but it's not so unusual where he is to use a cellular plan as internet. it's not as expensive there as it is here and is usually faster overall than what we can get in the US.

so to answer the question, no a second such router even from the same company would not cause any issues at all. though as others have noted, i would not put them right next to each other. and do be sure to set them to different channels, preferrably at least 5 apart. so 1 and 6 or 2 and 7 or 3 and 8 and so on....

considering you plan to use it in a separate room than the main 4k tv. having your personal one in that room would make the most sense so it can be easily wired to the gaming system.

Solution

SpyroBot

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
As stated earlier, adding a standard router wont help. OP is already connected with cat5. These are hotspots.
I think this got a bit more complicated than it should've been. The fact is, I am getting a separate internet connection from a different provider (COMPLEATLY separate). I was just questioning if the signals will disturb each other with they're put next to each other.

Reactions: J_E_D_70