Question Two tiny capacitors/resistors missing need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2021
Hello first time poster long time follower. I have a msi Radeon Rx580 4g oc one day I turned on my pc and it wouldn’t recognize my graphics in bios nor device manager it happened before and a systems reinstall fixed the problem but not this time around . I inspected everything and finally send on my gpu im missing 2 very tiny resistors don’t know how long they have been missing and if this could be the issue I can’t seem to find out what kind they are to maybe find a replacement included picture any help would be appreciated View: https://imgur.com/a/XQy1TeJ

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those are capacitors. Have you compared this to an image of another identical card to confirm they actually missing? Not populating components is somewhat common.

Those are likely filter caps as well, sometimes you can get away with not having them.

At first both of them are capacitors. Capacitors on similar PCIe lines at both sides certainly are the same that lost ones. You can measure their values with multimeter which have capacitance measurement mode. Then purchase correct ones and solder in.

Those are capacitors. Have you compared this to an image of another identical card to confirm they actually missing? Not populating components is somewhat common.

They certainly was here. C104 is visibly teared out. C105 too with a piece of pad below - seems pretty hard to replace without a microscope and proper soldering iron, solder/flux.

This is why hardware assembling and upgrade should be done carefully. Minute negligence may cost quite much.

Aug 24, 2021

Those are likely filter caps as well, sometimes you can get away with not having them.
Yea I compared to other cards and def are missing

Aug 24, 2021
They certainly was here. C104 is visibly teared out. C105 too with a piece of pad below - seems pretty hard to replace without a microscope and proper soldering iron, solder/flux.

This is why hardware assembling and upgrade should be done carefully. Minute negligence may cost quite much.
Im pretty good at soldering that’s why I’m trying to find out exactly what to look for for the replacement just honestly Don’t know what to look for as when I type it in it usually brings up no compacitors like that

Aug 24, 2021
They are capacitors.
If you aren't good at soldering that can be a difficult repair.
I think there's a good chance that's not your problem....although it's possible.
I wanna think that’s not my problem as well especially with the prices of gpus but I’ve trouble shot everything else I could think of unless there’s another issue with the gpu but that was what I noticed when inspecting it wasn’t sure if it would affect no display or not but that’s why I posted on here as this place is awesome with intelligent individuals with these issues I checked ram psu motherboard and so on I did a fresh install of windows as that helped last time my power went out as they were working on the power lines the first time around pc is hooked up to power supply and pc was off when power came back on that’s when the problem first occurred with gpu not being detected

Aug 24, 2021

Yea the problem is I don’t know if they were ever there as even when I purchased the pc that came with the gpu there so small I might have just never noticed they were missing before and sense now I looked over and over again when I had issues I noticed them gone

Im pretty good at soldering that’s why I’m trying to find out exactly what to look for for the replacement just honestly Don’t know what to look for as when I type it in it usually brings up no compacitors like that
They are called surface mount capacitors.
The best way to get the value would be to unsolder one of the other ones and measure it.
The reason you would unsolder it is.....sometimes you don't get an accurate reading if you measure it in circuit (depending on the circuit).
Many times though....you can get an accurate reading measuring it in the circuit....but it's not guaranteed.

Aug 24, 2021
The best way to get the value would be to unsolder one of the other ones and measure it.
The reason you would unsolder it is.....sometimes you don't get an accurate reading if you measure it in circuit (depending on the circuit).
Many times though....you can get an accurate reading measuring it in the circuit....but it's not guaranteed.
I’ll have to borrow a multimeters that can measure it as mine dosent have the ability so when I find the accurate reading what exactly would I search for so just type in surface mount compacitor and the measurement I get from it ? as everything brings up nothing similar to what I’m looking for or a good place to get them from wish I 100 percent knew if this my was my issue of my pc not detecting it before I went threw this headache of doing all this lol

Those are filter capacitors. And due to circuit design have no problems with measuring their value with any proper capacitance measurement tool like my MS8910 SMD tester or multimeter with capacitance measuring ability. Even 15$ worth Chinese component tester can do that. Soldering them back in though require SMD soldering skills. And for this component and trace size - also microscope or good zooming lens.

I'l bet that both capacitor values are 220 nF and they came in 0402 type package. Read here and here.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021
Those are filter capacitors. And due to circuit design have no problems with measuring their value with any proper capacitance measurement tool. Even 15$ worth Chinese component tester can do that. Soldering them back in though require some SMD soldering skills. And for this component and trace size - also microscope or good zooming lens.
Yea mine don’t have capacitance mode on it I’m confident in my soldering skill as it dosent really worry me I just didn’t know exactly what I was looking for to get replacements

InvalidError

Titan
what exactly would I search for so just type in surface mount compacitor and the measurement I get from it ? as everything brings up nothing similar to what I’m looking for
What you are looking for is 100nF 0402 MLCC.

Components this small can be a royal pain to solder if you don't have appropriate micro-soldering tools. I don't like manually soldering anything smaller than 0805.

Those are filter capacitors.
No, PCIe is AC-coupled and those capacitors are in series with the IO to block DC bias that may be coming from the other end. That lets both ends use different bias voltages for their RX/TX circuitry.

Reactions: jay32267
Aug 24, 2021

Components this small can be a royal pain in the ass to solder if you don't have appropriate micro-soldering tools. I don't like manually soldering anything smaller than 0805.

No, PCIe is AC-coupled and those capacitors are in series with the IO to block DC bias that may be coming from the other end. That lets both ends use different bias voltages for their RX/TX circuitry.
So could that maybe be the problem of why my pc isn’t detecting my gpu ? Or would anyone think no and there’s another issue going on ?

Aug 24, 2021

Components this small can be a royal pain to solder if you don't have appropriate micro-soldering tools. I don't like manually soldering anything smaller than 0805.

And thank you yea it will most likely be a pain to solder those but I’m am gonna attempt it as I have everything I need to solder something that small I appreciate everyone’s help y’all are awesome thank you very much

Missing pad is a problem, may not be possible to put that one back. Putting solder there may bridge something in the PCB layers.

Only if pad was connected to something directly below it. Which seems not a case - trace goes directly to connector where nothing else should be by design. Anyone who will repair this, can scrape the lacquer from trace and connect with capacitor with solder bridge or piece of tiny wire. And put a layer of lacquer above all contraption when it will become clear that repair was successful.

Completely forgot about that. Though figuratively speaking this is another type of filter :D

So could that maybe be the problem of why my pc isn’t detecting my gpu ? Or would anyone think no and there’s another issue going on ?
It could be the problem....but I've also seen GPUs run fine while missing components....and it wouldn't surprise me if I saw that one running fine.
If you can get caps on there.....that would obviously be great as it would at least eliminate it.
...but as was said....the missing pad may be an issue.

Reactions: Roger1985
Aug 24, 2021
Only if pad was connected to something directly below it. Which seems not a case - trace goes directly to connector where nothing should be by design. Anyone who will repair this, can scrape the lacquer from trace and connect with capacitor with solder bridge or piece of tiny wire. And put a layer of lacquer above all contraption when it will become clear that repair was successful.

Completely forgot about that. Though figuratively speaking this is another type of filter :D
So your saying it’s missing a
Missing pad is a problem, may not be possible to put that one back. Putting solder there may bridge something in the PCB layers.
Oh ok so it’s missing a pad as well? So soldering it will bridge it dang ok

Aug 24, 2021
It could be the problem....but I've also seen GPUs run fine while missing components....and it wouldn't surprise me if I saw that one running fine.
If you can get caps on there.....that would obviously be great as it would at least eliminate it.
...but as was said....the missing pad may be an issue.
Ok thank you all for your help I really do appreciate it

"Oh ok so it’s missing a pad as well? So soldering it will bridge it dang ok "

yes....but you may be able to solder it to the trace if you can get a little of it exposed.....or even the top of the terminal.
This is where it's nice to have experience.
Also....those caps are in series....which I think tends to increase the probability of them being essential....which I think makes it more likely they could be your problem.

Also....those caps are in series....which I think tends to increase the probability of them being essential....which I think makes it more likely they could be your problem.

It indeed is. If traces are cut (by missing capacitors there) in middle of first PCIe x4 group then probability that board detection will fail, is very real. This is why guys who want to make board PCIe bus "shorter", put isolation tape over specified unused PCIe connector contacts of whole PCIe group(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.