Two versions of same game, 1 w/ mods?

Boston Stump

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
I'm about to buy and build a gaming PC.
I was wondering if I could copy Skyrim, for example, and have version A standard and version B for mods.

This would be cool because I can test the mods out of version "B" and if I like them use them on version "A" as well. (Things like improved textures and aspects that "should of been" in the game)
Also it means on version "B" I can have fun with all sorts of crazy stuff and always go back to modest version "A" if Im not in the mood for all the film inspired, zombie apocalypse madness.

I hope this isn't too confusing. So, I aim to have two shortcuts of Skyrim on my desktop, one of them for mods and the other standard. Can I do this? And how? And can I do this with any game?
Thanks!

There was a fan-created utility for Oblivion called MOM (Multiple Oblivion Manager), which could allow this, if I remember correctly. However, I haven't heard of any such utility for Skyrim and it's not possible to have two functioning installations of Skyrim without it.

Boston Stump

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
How about if I had two windows Users, one without mods and one with? I suppose the compromise of this idea would be that I'd have to be using two different game saves so I can't progress the two simultaneously.

Would that work? I'll be buying Skyrim in physical disk form from amazon.

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work, though it'd be tedious.

You could never use different mods with the same save anyway though. It'll corrupt and break the save eventually if you did that.