Two weeks after reinstall, the BSODs start again... more iaStor and 0x000000C5. Please help!

avalonbright

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I've posted time and time again here. I tried everything. Memtest86 for 5 passes overnight and through the afternoon, nothing. Chkdsk, nothing. Various antivirus programs, nothing. Everything I could run, I've run. Multiple times for many. After I reinstalled Windows I thought things were fine again. I didn't get a BSOD for two weeks or so and relaxed.

Then this morning I wake up to my computer having shut down and the fan being on rather loud. Sure enough...when I turned the monitor on, there it was. 0x000000C5 DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL. Again. The same thing as last time.

Sure enough in event viewer, starting just last night. A dozen Errors about iaStor as well. "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

At least my PC decided to make a minidump this time, which you can find here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq6k5n4logvsumj/032415-24772-01.dmp?dl=0

The basic info is:
032415-24772-01.dmp 3/24/2015 9:05:58 AM
DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL 0x000000c5 00000000`00000008 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000001 fffff800`02c0b90d
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+70700

I looked at it with bluescreenview but my PC is not downloading WinDBG for some reason. Every time I try to install the SDK from Windows' site it just says "Oh it failed" with no explanation at all. Please, please tell me someone knows what to do here. I'm probably 3-4 months out from being able to just buy a new PC and I don't know what I'm going to do between now and then if I can't fix this.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Hi,

Unfortunatley i cant read minidumps but the answer will probably be in there and it looks like a misbehaving driver:
USB sound cards seem to be a re-occuring theme if you use one?
Are you sure theres not some peripheral you keep plugining in just before the BSODs start happening again?

Google the windows driver verification tool and how to use it, it will basically throw everything it can at the drivers to try and cause the BSOD and identify which driver is to blame.

The issue could be software related. I would be using system restore to revert to a point before the crashes, then make sure windows update is not set to automatic updating so you can try the updates 1 by one.

a few other questions/suggestions,
What kind of hard drive/motherboard do you have?
Have you checked out the bios settings regarding your hard drive controller?
Have you tried reading the SMART data from your hard drive to check its health
In device manager check your hard drive controller is in AHCI mode not legacy or raid, (it can revert to legacy after lockups).
See if there are firmware updates available from your hard drive or sorage controller manufacturer.