[SOLVED] Type-C flash drive will only read when inserted one way ?

Jul 23, 2021
So I bought 2 of these flashdrives: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYJ63VF

When connecting to a PC, works perfectly fine, both the Type-A end and the Type-C end, and for Type-C works either way you insert the flashdrive. It's when connecting to my Pixel 2 XL when something strange occurs.

When the Type-C end of the flash drive is inserted into my phone, it'll show that something is connected through the Type-C port, however it is unusable. It states that my phone cannot control the USB device that is connected through the type-C port, aka the flashdrive. The flashdrive is active as it does start to heat up when plugged in like this for a while. After testing for a bit however, I find that when I insert the flashdrive in the other orientation the Type-C end of the flashdrive can go in, my phone starts to read the flashdrive as intended, allowing it to be used.

Other flashdrives and devices (albeit not tested with another type of an OTG flashdrive) with adapters will read perfectly fine, and it doesn't matter the orientation the devices are plugged in. I thought it would be a problem with just one of the flashdrives I bought, however it's exactly the same problem with both of them, and its the same orientation that the flashdrives have to be plugged in for them to work on my phone. It's not really a problem as they do work, I just have to make sure they're in the correct way, I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem as well. Thank you!

Solution
It's just phone usbc port wear. Fast charging from one side is another common issue. Trouble with usbc ports on phones is it's continuously being used, too easy to plug that it's difficult not to be too careless.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's just phone usbc port wear. Fast charging from one side is another common issue. Trouble with usbc ports on phones is it's continuously being used, too easy to plug that it's difficult not to be too careless.

Solution