Question Typical MB and SB temperature

severe_009

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi guys, just wondering, whats the typical expected average temperature for the motherboard and south bridge?

Asrock Taichi X570
Ryzen 9 3900x
Zotac RTX 2080S

Ambient temperature: 25c
MB: 35-40c
SB: 55-60c

Are these temperature normal? and what would be the maximum safe temperature?

Hi guys, just wondering, whats the typical expected average temperature for the motherboard and south bridge?

Asrock Taichi X570
Ryzen 9 3900x
Zotac RTX 2080S

Ambient temperature: 25c
MB: 35-40c
SB: 55-60c

Are these temperature normal? and what would be the maximum safe temperature?
'Southbridge' probably means the X570 chipset and since they run hot that seems about right.

'MB', MotherBoard, could in the VRM area...which would make that temp range very good in operation. You can rule that out, though, if you have a separate 'VRM' readout that tracks with CPU loading. Otherwise it could be a sensor located somewhere under/around the GPU so I'd watch it to see if it gets warmer as the GPU gets really active. It does follow GPU heating on my motherboard so I use it to control some exhaust fans as it starts dumping hot air inside the case.

severe_009

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
'Southbridge' probably means the X570 chipset and since they run hot that seems about right.

'MB', MotherBoard, could in the VRM area...which would make that temp range very good in operation. You can rule that out, though, if you have a separate 'VRM' readout that tracks with CPU loading. Otherwise it could be a sensor located somewhere under/around the GPU so I'd watch it to see if it gets warmer as the GPU gets really active. It does follow GPU heating on my motherboard so I use it to control some exhaust fans as it starts dumping hot air inside the case.

Hi yes, I think the SB is the area around the GPU which has a dedicated fan and I did some gaming while CPU under load while rendering, here are the results I got.

MB: 48c
SB: 72c

My case is NZXT h510elite with 4 AERGB fans think this temperatures are within normal range?

Hi yes, I think the SB is the area around the GPU which has a dedicated fan and I did some gaming while CPU under load while rendering, here are the results I got.

MB: 48c
SB: 72c

My case is NZXT h510elite with 4 AERGB fans think this temperatures are within normal range?
It makes sense that the X570, or SouthBridge, chipset would warm up like that while gaming not only from GPU heat but also PCIe transfers it handles warms up the chipset. That's why they put dedicated fans on them for all X570 motherboards.

The MB temp seems pretty good.

Reactions: severe_009
Sep 8, 2020
It makes sense that the X570, or SouthBridge, chipset would warm up like that while gaming not only from GPU heat but also PCIe transfers it handles warms up the chipset. That's why they put dedicated fans on them for all X570 motherboards.

The MB temp seems pretty good.

No, that does NOT make sense. The GPU is connected directly to the CPU via x16 and never goes through the SB.

Unless you have a game that makes extremely-impossible-hefty usages of some pcie nvme ssd's on the SB the SB is doing very very little. 60C is fine... My asrock phantom gaming x sits at 71C at IDLE!!!!