Discussion Typical specs of Windows 7 pos ready embedded systems?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I had a job in retail, and I have always wondered what kind of specs the POS systems have. I am getting laid off, due to corporate financial troubles, so I will never get an opportunity to see, and even if I did, I probably wouldn't be allowed to anyway. I am just wondering what the range of hardware is for these embedded systems. I know it can't be fast because I can see parts of videos (for safety meetings and things) render. I also know these systems can't be new.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
wait a minute, I understand that POS software is highly specialized and probably expensive, but why is there a system with an intel celeron going for 3k when a cheaper system has an i3 8145ue?

https://www.amazon.com/Arkscan-POS615-Touchscreen-Aluminum-Enterprise/dp/B074T4F77P

I find POS systems very interesting because I always used to think that they ran some proprietary OS, when most of the time it's just windows. I'm wondering what the most powerful POS system is now. Surely, there aren't any POS systems with i9s right?

USAFRet

Titan
wait a minute, I understand that POS software is highly specialized and probably expensive, but why is there a system with an intel celeron going for 3k when a cheaper system has an i3 8145ue?
It is not just the hardware.

Factor in support/warranty, compatibility with the other dozen system you have in the office, etc, etc.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
why does the i9 13900e exist? what possible use case could you have to need an embedded system with that much power? I guess my thought process is that it is overkill for a retail pos system, but I guess embedded systems are used for other things.

USAFRet

Titan

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are as many applications as you can think up.

A lot of those tiny fanless systems end up in factory hardware as well, and they may need a powerful CPU to handle all the operations the machine has to do. Medical imaging devices need powerful processors and large memory counts. I might want something like that to run a 3D printer if it was to be cohabitated in a dusty workshop.

My mother's POS went through a few iterations. I want to say the original was a Pentium III 800Mhz or something in a standard at the time desktop chassis with the monitor sitting on top. Then a small form factor PC with a Pentium HT chip (still have that one actually, upgraded it to max memory and a new harddrive throughout its lifecycle, had to retire it since it can't run anything higher than Windows 8 (not even 8.1). And finally an AIO touchscreen PC with an i3-4130 in it.

Kind of went top of the line to top of the line CPU, than a cheap i3 could do it.

It ran the cash drawer, POS system, local database for the POS system, daily backups of the same, thermal printer, inkjet printer, credit card reader, keyboard/mouse. I believe we rigged up a signal for the cash drawer to keep working. Surprisingly expensive to replace, so it was easier to build a small transistor circuit to trigger the solenoid that could open the drawer than to pay for a new one to be installed that used a different standard for opening.

why does the i9 13900e exist? what possible use case could you have to need an embedded system with that much power? I guess my thought process is that it is overkill for a retail pos system, but I guess embedded systems are used for other things.
"Embedded system" is typically any computer that performs a specific function as part of a larger, overall system.

For instance, you might need that processor to handle an airplane's auto-navigation system (you actually don't, but hypothetically speaking...). However, that computer handles a specific part of the overall system. It's not going to directly control, for instance, the flight surfaces despite the obvious connection between auto-navigation and manipulating the flight surfaces. It'll send messages to the computers that actually control the flight surfaces.