[SOLVED] Typing backwards, completely random, two systems

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A couple of days ago my system started having this issue where completely at random it would start typing characters backwards. stop would be pots.
Today another system within the LAN started doing it.

Edit to add- just as a side note...the moment I notice it doing so, and stop typing to go back and correct, the issue will not duplicate after stopping

Completely random. So far this has happened mostly in Chrome, but also in Quickbooks (app) and File Explorer.

I have checked both systems for RTL/LTR settings, region, language list, cleared browsing history (Chromes suggestion to fix everything), uninstalled and reinstalled the HID drivers, and tried backup keyboards. Virus scan isn't coming up with a hit on either machine. I am using an enterprise level AV solution and neither machine is used for torrents, irresponsible downloads, or off mainstream sites and such. Both machines UAC is set specifically that nothing will install without a pop up window first.

My machine is updated to 2004 and just did a feature update for 2004. I figured that might have been it, went to check the other machine and it is still on 1909 and doesn't have a coinciding update that matches the start of the problem.

I see online this isn't an unheard of issue and have tried every fix suggested. I cannot duplicate the issue, cannot see any specific causation.
Both machines seem to be operating fine otherwise, no weird items running in the background, etc.

Last edited:
Solution
yes it could have come from mobile if the phone dont have virus protection for the fan curve try to use the board bios sethings that could help .

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just for giggles:
Machine 1
2700X
X370 Taichi
GTX1080
Trident Z (32GB) @ 3200
RM 6 or 750 Corsair (the good gold one and relatively new)
Samsung Evo some such or another NVME
Win 10 2004 fully updated and on latest BIOS

Machine 2
i5 8400
H chipset, think Gigabyte, can't look ATM
32GB of (cannot recall) RAM running at 2400 (XMP doesn't play nice on this machine)
Kingston Predator PCI-e NVME
~600W Antec "Gaming" PSU (also a darned decent one, if older)
Win 10 1909 fully updated and not sure on BIOS

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
virus scan came out clean so try the malwares scan you could have get something for a link in a page .

On both of these computers, if I were to click a link to a nefarious page it would not go there, pop up a warning. If I attempted to download a program of any sort not only is it going to scan it, the UAC window will pop up after that to ask if I really wanted to install or make the change.
Obviously people get got, but I feel pretty confident that my current setup and solution is good. I appreciate the advise. TBH, I doubt that my current solution would even LET me run that on top of it, and I darned sure ain't turning it off.

For instance, unless I absolutely FORCE the machine to do so, I can't even install Valorant.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
there is some page on net that have a hidden script on sometimes in pictures files that why i did suggest you the malwares scan now it is up to you .

Just for giggles I ran it. I was able to eliminate some "PUP" homepage changer stuff that my other AV was set to log. (I have it set to disallow home page changes) They were logged but not acted on. I changed that, and all of those are gone but goes nowhere towards explaining the issue, for sure. Each of these 'homepage swap bugs' were tied to Chrome and seem to have originated out of a pr0n site. These bugs were present on three of the machines of five that are syncing a calendar. All three of them on my local network so it appears the issue originated here. The two remote machines did not have the issue in spite of syncing from the same account that these 'bugs' were set to be other search engines within as well.
I do NOT know if it's possible for this type of bug to introduce via mobile or Apple (tablet) type device, but there are quite a number of those out in techs hands also syncing to that account. I am not familiar enough with that side of how virus type items propagate.

I went in yesterday and defaulted and changed a bunch of the stuff mentioned above. I have not experienced the (backwards text) issue on this box again. I still have to go on the other machine and do those same things as it did it twice with some regularity today, only in QB.

I will note that once I installed, ran MWB, and later uninstalled it that it completely boinked my paid AV subscription which I then had to re-install/repair to make happy again.

As a side note all of the items that I have defaulted and changed have somehow messed with my fan curves. In the past I have been able to install Afterburner, set a curve, uninstall and the curve would remain. That was working fine up to yesterday...I spent a good part of today trying to figure that out but the only solution I have found to actually work is just to leave Afterburner installed and running in the background.