U.S. Army Upgrading to Windows Vista, Office 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
They will also discover innumerable network incompatibilities, as well as having to upgrade hardware. I'm sure they must've taken all that into consideration, but why Vista and not 7?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]marokero[/nom]They will also discover innumerable network incompatibilities, as well as having to upgrade hardware. I'm sure they must've taken all that into consideration, but why Vista and not 7?[/citation]
It will take 2 years to validate Win 7.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Don’t get me wrong… I like Vista but come on now, with Win 7 being superior why not just skip Vista and begin testing on 7 and jump straight to it. XP will be fine until 7 is fully tested.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]NightbladeXX[/nom]because Windows 7 will be too new, and Vista SP2 is now availiable[/citation]
Yes...
BUT there is really little reason to upgrade to Vista, especially when you consider the Billions it will cost. XP is sufficient until 7 is tested.

G

"They will also discover innumerable network incompatibilities, as well as having to upgrade hardware. I'm sure they must've taken all that into consideration, but why Vista and not 7?"

What part of “The Army has been testing Vista since its release and has run it through the Army Golden Master program. The Army Golden Master program is responsible for the release of the Army standard baseline configurations for commonly used computing environments within the Army Enterprise Infrastructure
, the team responsible for making sure applications that ran on XP will run on Vista,” did you not understand?

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Soldier punches in the launch code.. superior says fire... Windows ask if your sure "Windows needs permission for this launch..." its like adding in another fail safe! LOL

worst 3

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
really, waited all this time and cant wait a few a bit longer till win7 comes out and is tested. the government seems love to waste money, and i thought they were going to be more efficient with there computer usage and upgrades.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Windows? Are they serious? The fact that the military is deciding on the most insecure of all the operating systems is absolutely stupid. They should be running BSD on everything there. We might as well as stick a big "rape our infrastructure" sign over the army.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Whatever.... USA Gov, spend Billions on this:

""According to the Army News Service’s report, “First-time Vista users will discover added support for data encryption, a new Windows Explorer, upgraded icons and navigation structure” as well as “graphical replications of clock, calendar, weather and Outlook mail functions.”"

HAHA I guess thats why your economy is fucked and not going to recover fully... ever.

zigge

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
"but why Vista and not 7?"
There will always be a new OS out before the previous one is finished being tested. Additionally, MS is cutting support for XP. Thus, military is forced to migrate to a new OS, likely before they could finish testing 7. 2 years for testing a new OS is optimistic and not even including deployment time. Many of their programs also have to be updated for whatever OS they are converting to in advance to. They started that over 3 years ago and still aren't done. OS migration is probably a 4-5 year process and it must be finished before the current OS in use (XP in this case has support pulled).

G

It is bad enough that the government is using M$'s junk, but to use a known POS like VISDUH just "takes the cake"!!!!! - get your head out of you ***'s people!!!!

I can see it now;
SIR, YES SIR - I will launch those nukes as soon as my computer finishes rebooting, SIR

SIR, We have a problem, I keep getting a BSOD... Sorry Sir!!

G

This is seriously stupid. They should be sticking with xp, vista offers them nothing, except a SERIOUS waste of taxpayer dollars.

I might support a move to 7 after validation, but moving to vista, especially now, is a big fat waste of money.

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Well, so far it has required new PCs and printers. Vista won't run on the Dell Pent. IV with 512MB ram that we have and HP won't give us Vista drivers for the printer/scanner combos. More problems sure to come. I'm sure glad we do our real work on solaris/linux. As for Windows 7, it will be 3 years before the government validates that.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]puddleglum[/nom]Well, so far it has required new PCs and printers. Vista won't run on the Dell Pent. IV with 512MB ram that we have and HP won't give us Vista drivers for the printer/scanner combos. More problems sure to come. I'm sure glad we do our real work on solaris/linux. As for Windows 7, it will be 3 years before the government validates that.[/citation]

If you have that old of a computer you need to upgrade anyway. No matter what you do.
[citation][nom]Annoni Mouse[/nom]It is bad enough that the government is using M$'s junk, but to use a known POS like VISDUH just "takes the cake"!!!!! - get your head out of you ***'s people!!!!I can see it now;SIR, YES SIR - I will launch those nukes as soon as my computer finishes rebooting, SIRSIR, We have a problem, I keep getting a BSOD... Sorry Sir!![/citation]
I haven't seen a BSOD in about 6 years, what hellhole did you come from?

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I think most of you have a sever lack of understanding on how government bureaucracies and large enterprises work. They are not going to stick with XP because support for XP will stop in a few years. Also, they will not switch to Windows 7 becuase its new and untested. You can bitch all day about Vista, but the fact is that it is more secure than XP, is now in SP2, and has been fully tested by the Army's own validation program.

zigge

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
[citation][They are not going to stick with XP because support for XP will stop in a few years.[/citation]
Repeated for emphasis. Army has to plan years in advance and convert before support is dropped. 7 isn't out in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.