U.S. DOT Pushes For Rules On Vehicle-To-Vehicle Communication In Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
More scare tactics. Automobiles already use multiple network protocols for communication in vehicles. And the powertrain BUS (engine, transmission, bakes) is typically separate from other buses and only way to talk to them is through passing messages. You can't "take over" or "reprogram/flash" your engine computer (for example) by hacking into the car cellular connection.

As to communicating between cars, there's a simple solution. DON'T store the data. And why would you? If a car in front of you hits the brakes which then signals your car to also apply brakes to avoid a collision, what point is there to store this data? Likewise, if an accident ahead is slowing traffic, why would you want to store the message your car received warning you about it?

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Did they *NOT* see this coming? People have been talking about automated roadways and self-driving cars since at least the 1970s... You'd think they wouldn't wait until the cars were out on the road all over the country before they started THINKING about what an initial standard would look like.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
What point is there in storing the message? Accident information and evidence. An accident is not always going to be avoided. And sorry but I don't want my car automatically braking.

Not to mention that relying on V2V communication via radio waves for accident avoidance makes it insanely easy for someone to cause a massive accident since they could easily just jam all the signals.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I feel a v2v and vehicle to city grid system would alleviate alot of traffic. Currently I use my phone to adjust for traffic. But it is dependent on other phones connected. With vehicle to city grid its possible to have a more real time understanding of traffic. The city can also manage traffic lights to maximize flow or trip time if it has access to vehicle destination. The problem is the city will probably use the information to ticket me more and not alleviate traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.