U.S. Galaxy S III Might Not Have Quad-core CPU with LTE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ang1dust[/nom]NO PHONE needs quad core, the fact that its quad core is specifically added becuase the architecture allows it. this is a 32nm iir and is much less power expensive. Not to mention most of the time you can turn other cores off to make it less power hungry.[/citation]
that's like saying 640kb is forever enough.
I'm will only settle when I can play crysis on my phone.

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I disagree, from my experience with GB phones that had single and dual cores they were not smooth operating. ...often locking up and crashing. Now if you're saying ICS alone would resolve all of that, we'll have to see. I most recently had a Razr Maxx and it loved to freeze and need a reboot. It wasn't slow, but often choppy. Maybe a quad-core would've had no impact.[/citation]
You can thank Verizon for their crapware they install ON TOP of what was supposed to be Android; that stuff will often crash any phone, regardless of specs. Pure Android, be it GB or ICS, never gave me any issues at all, on specs that were far below a Razr Maxx.

[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]So they mess up the audio chip in Galaxy S II, and now it's gonna be the messed up audio chip + dual core, insead of quad, for Galaxy S III. Nice going Samsung. Looks like I'm sticking with my original Galaxy S using Slim ICS ROM, which works super great. I'd rather make donations to the Slim ICS developer, than buying a crippled phone.. It's like the movies, where they get the first one right, but the sequels suck, except for some nice special effects.[/citation]
My SGS2 audio chip works very well, thanks. Maybe you need to do some research before installing stuff, or maybe your particular phone was defective. Can hardly blame the whole lot for one bad apple/ no pun intended.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]You can thank Verizon for their crapware they install ON TOP of what was supposed to be Android; that stuff will often crash any phone, regardless of specs. Pure Android, be it GB or ICS, never gave me any issues at all, on specs that were far below a Razr Maxx.[/citation]
I just gave up on it and came home to the iPhone 4S. It works well for me.

[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I guess this wouldn't be the best time to note that iOS doesn't have this "lag" you mentioned. ...I'm just say'n.[/citation]
No, you're just trollin'... You've been trolling every article about Android phones, tooting your iOS horn, about how bad your particular Razr Maxx experience has been and how great the iphone is for you. Glad that golden cage is working out for you, but for most of us, a cage is never an option.
Don't let the door kick you in the back on your way out.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]No, you're just trollin'... You've been trolling every article about Android phones, tooting your iOS horn, about how bad your particular Razr Maxx experience has been and how great the iphone is for you. Glad that golden cage is working out for you, but for most of us, a cage is never an option. Don't let the door kick you in the back on your way out.[/citation]
Didn't realize my comments were seen as trolling. I'll try to be even more objective.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Well, as long as they're not made by Apple a lot of folks will like the Galaxy III just fine, no matter what the specs are. It'll sell just fine here, in the US, quad-core or not.[/citation]

Pipe dream in andriod land. Doesn't matter how well it works, it just has to have quad core and the highest ghz and the most memory and the biggest display. Most americans value quantity over quality.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]So they mess up the audio chip in Galaxy S II, and now it's gonna be the messed up audio chip + dual core, insead of quad, for Galaxy S III. Nice going Samsung. Looks like I'm sticking with my original Galaxy S using Slim ICS ROM, which works super great. I'd rather make donations to the Slim ICS developer, than buying a crippled phone.. It's like the movies, where they get the first one right, but the sequels suck, except for some nice special effects.[/citation]

Why not just get an iPhone which is designed to work well (smooth and responsive) and stop being a slave to the highest ghzs?

striker410

Distinguished
For me this is sad. As someone who lives in a rural market that won't have access to LTE for quite some time, I can only hope that Sprint (with their awesome unlimited data plan) will pick up the quad core version. Do I need a quad core? No. Do I want one? You bet your ass!

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm not sure what the purpose is for a quad core at this point in time. In a phone, the most important spec (And likely the most boring) is time to idle. The faster a CPU can finish its task, then go into low power mode the better.

Since Android doesn't really do multiple threads very good, then what you end up with is the CPU drawing more power for longer. A dual core with a faster clock (since it will run cooler) can finish a task and hit idle faster than a slower quad core. This isn't your gaming rig, plugged into the wall socket. So trying to use desktop metrics to figure out what is better will fail.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]I'm not sure what the purpose is for a quad core at this point in time. In a phone, the most important spec (And likely the most boring) is time to idle. The faster a CPU can finish its task, then go into low power mode the better.Since Android doesn't really do multiple threads very good, then what you end up with is the CPU drawing more power for longer. A dual core with a faster clock (since it will run cooler) can finish a task and hit idle faster than a slower quad core. This isn't your gaming rig, plugged into the wall socket. So trying to use desktop metrics to figure out what is better will fail.[/citation]
So, Android can't make good use of a couple of extra cores to deal with all the crap that's always running to allow even faster idle? Perhaps some TSR flag that shunts them off to the background cores? Is that a permanent flaw or is it being worked on?

My Sprint Galaxy S II gets no 4G where I live, so I'm intrigued by the idea of an upgrade. Assuming that LTE isn't also going to be as slow getting here (Columbia, SC). We desktop programmers still live in a world where a decent CPU makes lame algorithms look almost elegant, so we'd prefer our phones be hearty too. Silly dreamers I guess...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]EYEShurt[/nom]Wonders if Americans even realise they are not the biggest market in the world.... start conforming to the rest of the worlds standards or you will be left out, its pretty simple[/citation]
lmao i know..."OMG India is a test market!!"...well, India will get the quad core Galaxy S III :p

Though i agree, there's no particular need of a quad core phone. Especially after reading this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone

halcyon

Splendid
I'd just like to see Samsung use some material besides plastic for the casing on their high end phones. Kevlar, aluminum, etc. The plastic always has a cheap connotation to me when it comes to something like a phone. Moto did well when they chose higher-end materials for their Razr and Razr Maxx. Perhaps many don't care about that.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]My SGS2 audio chip works very well, thanks. Maybe you need to do some research before installing stuff, or maybe your particular phone was defective. Can hardly blame the whole lot for one bad apple/ no pun intended.[/citation]

The original Galaxy S uses top of the line Wolfson WM8994. Galaxy S2 uses (comparatively) inferior yamaha chipset. Its average for a smart phone, but no where near the quality and features of the Wolfson that was in the first generation Galaxy S.
Here you find why it falls short: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung-galaxy-s-2-international-review-the-best-redefined/13

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]The original Galaxy S uses top of the line Wolfson WM8994. Galaxy S2 uses (comparatively) inferior yamaha chipset. Its average for a smart phone, but no where near the quality and features of the Wolfson that was in the first generation Galaxy S.Here you find why it falls short: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686 [...] defined/13[/citation]

Thank you master skittle!

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Tell this to the British where car manufacturers have to provide special edition cars with the dashboard/steering wheel layout reversed to allow driving safely on the other side of the road.Or tell the French to get rid of their SECAM system, or the Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc. to change their typewriter unfriendly writing style.As technology evolves in separate markets you run into incompatibilities and switching a large market, i.e. Europe, Asia or the USA, to conform to a different standard is difficult and expensive.Often you decide it is better to simply live with it.[/citation]

And Japan also drives on the left has does India along with most of Asia and Oceania. As for phones America and Japan like to use different frequencies to the rest of the world for some reason. If America would use either 850/2100 or 900/2100 it would solve many problems.

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]impreza[/nom]And Japan also drives on the left has does India along with most of Asia and Oceania. As for phones America and Japan like to use different frequencies to the rest of the world for some reason. If America would use either 850/2100 or 900/2100 it would solve many problems.[/citation]
What does that have to do with this article? You do realize that the US not getting the quad core version has nothing to do with differences in LTE frequencies? Its all about the fact that the US carriers want LTE in all of their top of the line phones, the quad core chips not supporting it, and the rest of the world not caring. Whether you agree with that sentiment aside, its a perfectly valid business decision that has nothing to do with conforming to everyone else...

G

If you dont think more cores matter just compair a phone like the Tbolt to the Gnex. Its way smoother and gets way better battery life. THATS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT PPL. Better battery management with more horsepower on the side. Do you NEED a Dodge charger with 370hp and a 5.7L Hemi engine? No but its fun as hell to drive.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I own the SGSII on AT&T and I've had the SGSII on Sprint; both have the Exynos SOC and have NO LAG. The new phones that use the Snapdragon A15, Samsung Exynos Quad core A9, Samsung Exynos dual core A15, Nvidia Tegra 3, etc. etc. etc. will HAVE NO LAG on Android and are much much faster and better experiences than any teeny tiny iSuck can offer.

I've picked up my friends' iPhone 4s and used it recently and the lack of screen size, lack of 4g, lack of speed and lack of accuracy that Siri has compared to a simple Google Voice search (not to mention the Golden Cage and complete lack of true customization or DEVICE OWNERSHIP) make this phone, it's company and their products unappealing to me and many millions of other people that actually know how to use (or at least aren't afraid to learn) newer and better, open technology.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]masterofevil22[/nom]I own the SGSII on AT&T and I've had the SGSII on Sprint; both have the Exynos SOC and have NO LAG. The new phones that use the Snapdragon A15, Samsung Exynos Quad core A9, Samsung Exynos dual core A15, Nvidia Tegra 3, etc. etc. etc. will HAVE NO LAG on Android and are much much faster and better experiences than any teeny tiny iSuck can offer. I've picked up my friends' iPhone 4s and used it recently and the lack of screen size, lack of 4g, lack of speed and lack of accuracy that Siri has compared to a simple Google Voice search (not to mention the Golden Cage and complete lack of true customization or DEVICE OWNERSHIP) make this phone, it's company and their products unappealing to me and many millions of other people that actually know how to use (or at least aren't afraid to learn) newer and better, open technology.[/citation]
I do prefer iOS but it's by no means perfect. Text selection is infuriating in iOS and so much easier in Android. It's just preference and it's good we have both...something for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.