U.S. Government Wants V2V Technology In All New Cars To Reduce Crashes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
It will be all fun and games until 1 car as a faulty sensor which sends bad data to near by cars which causes a chain reaction causes hundreds of cars to crash.

If you think those pile ups caused by dense fog are bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

toffty

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
It will be all fun and games until 1 car as a faulty sensor which sends bad data to near by cars which causes a chain reaction causes hundreds of cars to crash.

If you think those pile ups caused by dense fog are bad, you aint seen nothing yet.

Won't happen. A way to visualize this is to compare it to a simple situation with a human.

A human is walking and decides to start running sideways without looking first (bad V2V signal). There's a tree about 1 foot away. The human sees the tree and without thinking reacts (via an override of the higher level thinking brain) by either dodging the tree or stopping.

V2V communication is like this. V2V is the high level thinking (like a brain). There are other sensors - sonar/cameras (like eyes) - that can react like reflexes and override what the V2V is doing.

A car is hacked and tells the car behind it that it is accelerating. The following car starts to accelerate but the sonar/camera detects that the distance between it and the car in front is too small so slows down (the lower level reflex overrides the brain).

As for dense fog, sonar is not effected by it (this actually makes automation safer). If the fog is too dense to see the lines in the road hopefully the car will slow down and pull over (using sonar/camera to detect sidewalk/not-pavement) which everyone should be doing anyway in this case. Same would apply to snow covered roads.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh boy. Another attempt to create something for the lowest common denominator. That's another way of saying "Driving for Idiots". If you can't pay enuff attention to what's going on around you, then get the hell off the road.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
I hope that this is paired with legislation to require car companies follow stricter security procedures. After the news we've seen with smart cars being hacked, requiring all cars be able to communicate with each other seems like it could go very wrong very quick.

Yeah, about that.... It'll never happen car companies will just hide the flaws until they can't hide them anymore like they have already done with many recalls. The government will never fine auto companies what they should. Neither party would back those fines the dems because it would harm the UAW and the repubs because it would harm a business and/or somehow harm consumers.

elect the right people and you would get massive company crippling/bankrupting fines.

And you thought red light cameras were bad! Police can determine speed and give tickets wirelessly. Running a redlight, etc. Screw this!

This is a good thing. Anywhere people are regularly speeding - highways, underrated motorways - need to have their posted speeds adjusted to what people actually travel at. If its a law people can ignore because the likelihood of being ticketed for it are relatively low, nobody cares to change an obviously broken system of speed limits.

> such as stop signs, letting drivers know how long until the light changes.

This is literally the most important thing in my life ever. Whenever I'm on a major thoroughfare that has lights but also has highway speeds its always incredibly unnerving to worry about the lights I'm approaching changing yellow and then red on my approach because the people who time those things are masochists. I'm not sure if its going to have the range to present that info on a light at such a distance but I sure hope so.

the issue with the highway is, around here, its 10 miles over the speed limit set, and the speed limit is either 70 or 75, and because its more dangerous to drive slower than traffic than keep up...

i think this would be better done in a fully automated setting. i love the idea of NO ONE having control of their own cars and computers running traffic. i mean ignoring accidents completely. imagining the HOURS of avoided traffic because of the lack of rubberneckers, people who don't know how to merge properly, or just people who don't know how to drive.

the semi automation scares me a little still. im hesistant of semi automation as well as some cars having it and some not.

regardless... i cant wait till i can just hop in my car , tell it where i want to go and not even have the thought of a car accident cross my mind

until the first hack is found, and you have no control, they speed the car up, and don't let it turn... i love the idea of fully autonomous cars, but i would never like a system where the cars aren't fully self sufficient

This hits the nail on the head. Thank you!
I'll add i hope it's within the next decade and not decades, the technology is literally here already (well 2 years for the first fully-automated commercially available vehicles)

The most dangerous part about driving is the unpredictable nature of humans. Fully automating vehicles will drop the number of accidents considerably. I won't say 0 because there will be bugs in the software. The software will mature over time and I am willing to bet that these accidents are all low speeds due to all of the secondary/tertiary override systems to prevent accidents.

Those who are concerned about hacking should be concerned.
Should it stop progress? No
Should it be the catalyst for questions and investigations? Yes

it would probably be better if in a few decades we just didn't own cars. make them electric, make them computer controlled, and make them work like government provided taxies, due to how much of a necessity cars are to living in america, its not a privilege to drive, its a requirement of life. people with money could get private cars or pay for better ones, but if i could just get a ride on an hour long commute because i just don't give a shit about the car outside of getting me point a to b, that would be amazing.

cloud7s7

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I can't wait to read about the people that create devices to trick your car into thinking it needs to evade something that is not there and instead, sends your car into a brick wall or something. Should be lots of fun.

G

Another thing to remove along many other things including useless catalytic converter...

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

The point I was making is that I choose to DRIVE my own vehicle because I CAN. There are folks out there including some family members that simply drive because they have no other option, I can see those people wanting such options to make this easier and less stressful for them. For someone who actually can drive and does it more because they want to and like to, not because they have to, this is not for them. It doesn't mean racing on the streets it simply means I don't want to be assisted in driving, and having an ability to opt out of this "tech" even for higher insurance rates makes sense to me.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I can't wait to read about the people that create devices to trick your car into thinking it needs to evade something that is not there and instead, sends your car into a brick wall or something. Should be lots of fun.

Ahh. The ol' Wile E. Coyote maneuver. No need for a fancy device. Just paint a fake tunnel entrance on the wall.

Adilaris

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
For those suggesting it's a method for police to ticket you; have you every tried, y'know, not breaking the law in the first place?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The cat isn't useless. It's great for creating sulfur dioxide. Why do you think new cars smell like rotten eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.