News U.S. Govt pushes Nvidia and Apple to use Intel's foundries — Department of Commerce Secretary Raimondo makes appeal for US-based chip production

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rtoaht

Reputable
Jun 5, 2020
You know what that would do? You have no idea what you are talking about. Tariffs on TSMC would crash the tech market in the US and Canada. Prices would need to go up and sales would plummet. Therefore crashing all stocks and destroying the global market. Glad you have nothing to do with politics.

That’s why we never had tariffs on any products, right?

Sep 14, 2024
News Flash> TSMC has a huge new plant in Phoenix Arizona. So then TSMC Chips are now made in America (at least some of them)

I thought that was a rumor for an ARM processor?
If true, I am sure Nvidia got a killer deal on it, because I would have expected them to fab it at Samsung.
I think it was on much more recent news. Nvidia has been working with samsung since 2012. But their recent nodes are quite problematic. As for intel nvidia probabpy forced to do it. But they probably also interested what intel process is all about.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD reverse engineered nothing, Intel granted a license to manufacture x86 to AMD and Cyrix because, at that time, Intel could not supply IBM with the chips they needed on their own. Eventually, AMD engineers did start tinkering with ways to improve on the original chips on there own while Intel did their thing. Hence, x86 is about all they have in common anymore.
Pretty much what I mentioned. They started out making licensed runs of Intel's designs, then designed their own and launched it as an AMD branded product.