U.S. Marshals Run Outdated Antvirus, Get Infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
deltatux, the us government has switched more towards detecting, not preventing these things. thats why they don't update their software except every year.

G

Not that the FBI, or any other government agency, is that smart to begin with

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Someone should fire that IT staff. I mean really Oct 2008? With all the Chinese hackers u think the govt would at least update some PCs.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]Army fail? You'd think the U.S. government would be more secure than even the best computer enthusiast...[/citation]
Naw that's just the CIA they take security seriously down there all usb ports cemented over that aren't to use and the keyboard mice cemented to the computer lol they don't f around at the cia. Federal marshal is just the guys that track down a catch people abroad or across jursdictions.

This just reminds me of companys that don't do the important updates from Microsoft or from the av then get hit big time by a virus that would have been patched if they were up to date. like conflicker :)

erafael

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
What a shame.They should just shut up and don't even tell anyone about such a basic security failure.It just tells people how vulnerable and unprepared for any security issues they systems are.

And get the right IT staff in there now!

I am not an American, but feel sorry for American people to even have to deal with such a basic security problems.

Microsoft sucks too...

manicmalki

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
This is crap I get layed off and whoever there IT people are cant even keep there systems patched!!! I think I will be applying at the US Marshals and the FBI now..... It seems they will hire anyone.

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
This is funny. I had a computer that had no antivirus for two years and was connected to the internet all the time. After I realized it had no antivirus and ran a scan, nothing was found.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
My guess is the backlevel server that holds the anti-virus singatures wasn't updated so it wasn't pushing the new updates to all the client PCs on the network. Which basically means the system admins there weren't doing their job in monitoring their servers!!

TrendMicro automatically sends out e-mail alerts if something isn't right and I betcha they didn't even setup their mail notification either. Unreal.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]It is ridiculous to pay hundreds of dollars for an OS and then to pay even more hundreds of dollars for AV and Firewall software. And then you are still not sure what might hit you from behind![/citation]
First of all, you can get both of those for free. Avast!, and Free AVG are both great and free.

Second, the article doesn't even mention what OS the FBI is using.

Third, There are much better methods to keep viri from infecting computers from the internet, and I'm sure the FBI uses such a system. I'm guess it was an idiot with a flash drive, doing something they shouldn't have.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Third, There are much better methods to keep viri from infecting computers from the internet, and I'm sure the FBI uses such a system. I'm guess it was an idiot with a flash drive, doing something they shouldn't have

Which is one of the reasons why Window 7's auto disk start is disabled. It's annoying for me since I use special apps on my flash drive and I have to start it manually. However, on the bright side at least my system won't get infected by some idiot who wants to show me some stuff on his flash drive not knowing it's infected with a virus.

I know by now Microsoft did make a patch for Vista and I believe WinXP that disables this.

Status
Not open for further replies.