U.S. Renews Call to Private Industry to Help Cybersecurity

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't want the government to spend any money on cybersecurity. Thats when I know security will be much easier to breach. The governmnet is pretty bad at things like research and development. For instance take the current US military Assault Rifle. Its 40 years old, and there are cheaper, easier to produce, more accurate, and more reliable US based companies who make Assault Rifles. The problem is the government stalls technological development.
I really don't want the government stepping in on how they think they can protect private citizens from the denizens from the net. We might get our own Great Firewall of the United States.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
One of the major challenges is, according to Alexander, to understand the nature of attacks, which are growing more and more sophisticated. "The biggest problem is education," Alexander said. "Most people do not technically understand the network."

Security Auditor: http://serverfault.com/questions/293217/our-security-auditor-is-an-idiot-how-do-i-give-him-the-information-he-wants

Server OS update frequency: Once every few months

Group Policy: Fits all situations, according to management

Response Plan to an Attack: Last updated in 1990s for a previous 1980's server system

Special Permission Usage: Granted to all tasks because compatibility troubleshooting is too much work

Firewall: Allow all incoming/outgoing traffic

Education of security: Once every year, if we remember to do it

Password format: Plaintext

Most common passwords: 1234

Admin password: Password

SQL injection resistance: What SQL injection attack?

Funding for a server upgrade: Diverted to CEO's bonus paycheck

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT:

Vulnerability to URL exploit: Never checked, like this is ever going to happen: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/citigroup_website_hack_simple/

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is way too funny....isn't the government already contracting civilians to take care of their networks?....am i missing something?....the military IT guys are nothing but overpaid paper pushers, i know this for a fact.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]World war 1 - Aviation warfareWorld war 2 - Chemical warfareWorld war 3 - Cyber warfare[/citation]
did you figure this out all on your own?

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]
World war 1 - Aviation warfare
World war 2 - Chemical warfare
World war 3 - Cyber warfare
[/citation]
Check your facts. Both aviation and chemical warfare were used in World War I. Chemical warfare was even pioneered back then. Aviation warfare was introduced a few years earlier in the first Balkan war.

World War II is far better known for the use of tanks. And of course the big introduction of atomic weapons at the very end.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I don't want the government to spend any money on cybersecurity. Thats when I know security will be much easier to breach. The governmnet is pretty bad at things like research and development. For instance take the current US military Assault Rifle. Its 40 years old, and there are cheaper, easier to produce, more accurate, and more reliable US based companies who make Assault Rifles. The problem is the government stalls technological development.I really don't want the government stepping in on how they think they can protect private citizens from the denizens from the net. We might get our own Great Firewall of the United States.[/citation]

One of the dumbest comments I've ever read on here.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]World war 1 - Aviation warfareWorld war 2 - Chemical warfareWorld war 3 - Cyber warfare[/citation]

Ok this comment is second for dumbest comment I've read here.

WW2 and chemical warfare?

Chemical weapons were never used on a large scale in WW2. The Nazis had plans but realize if they use it the Allies would just use it back, not a good idea when you are already getting your cities bombed day and night.

cslide

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Webcam Spying is a BIG part of Cyber Security for governments and citizens. The best way to protect your webcam from spying/espionage is to use a Webcam Cover. C-SLIDE makes the BEST webcam cover on the market today. Check them out at http://www.c-slide.com

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]The gov has a lot of money, I don't know why they can't do something about this. The hackers have time though, and are always a step ahead.[/citation]
The bad guys have a lot of money too. Nation state threat actors are nationally funded and have the resources to buy all the tools we would use and test their malware against it to make sure it works. They also get considerably computational power for things like brute forcing passwords (or reversing the password hash to clear text) provided to them

Status
Not open for further replies.