News U.S. Retailer Gives Free 32GB DDR5-5600 Kit with Ryzen 7000 CPU

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Well if you want a 7600x you mind as well get a 7700x and use the RAM it comes with and save money. You will literally spend less getting the 8 core part over the 6 core part if you use the RAM... This is a great deal!

You pay an extra $100 for the CPU, save $140 on the RAM, and have less than ideal performance because your RAM is slower than the sweet spot for Zen 4 AND the latency is a little high (36).

A better promo is a big discount on a Zen 4 CPU+MB+DDR5 bundle

InvalidError

Titan
You pay an extra $100 for the CPU, save $140 on the RAM, and have less than ideal performance because your RAM is slower than the sweet spot for Zen 4 AND the latency is a little high (36).
Guru3D has tested 4800-42 vs 6000-30 and the differences are typically in the 0-3% range. The "sweet spot" is not relevant unless you are building a PC specifically for the one in ten applications or games where it actually makes a greater than 5% difference.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
And for the vast majority of people, that is a non issue.

In a blind test, most people could not tell 32GB of A from 32GB of B.

Semi-free capacity trumps speed.
And the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance between a Zen 3 and a Zen 4, especially in AAA games, if they don't use Afterburner... By this logic people could save a lot of money in several ways, but if you're buying one of those expensive X670/X670E motherboards I would expect that you want to get as much performance as possible, instead of cutting corners around memory.

Reactions: KyaraM

USAFRet

Titan
And the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance between a Zen 3 and a Zen 4, especially in AAA games, if they don't use Afterburner... By this logic people could save a lot of money in several ways, but if you're buying one of those expensive X670/X670E motherboards I would expect that you want to get as much performance as possible, instead of cutting corners around memory.
Amazingly, not every user or system is game oriented.

InvalidError

Titan
if you're buying one of those expensive X670/X670E motherboards I would expect that you want to get as much performance as possible, instead of cutting corners around memory.
When the performance difference between bog-standard RAM and super-expensive stuff is less than 3% in most cases, that money is wasted unless you are building your PC specifically for some of the stuff that shows greater than 5% gains.

Reactions: thisisaname

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Amazingly, not every user or system is game oriented.
Amazingly, my previous statement stands true even for many productivity tasks. But I guess I'm wasting my time because you were paid to put an ad and defend it, so let it be. Let's all praise Microcenter that gives people in the US RAM below AMD's recommended speed for "free", yay. Does it matter that Tom's Hardware actually used only DDR5-6000 kits in its Ryzen 7000 review? Of course not! Let's deceive people and tell them that it doesn't make any difference.

Reactions: KyaraM
Amazingly, my previous statement stands true even for many productivity tasks. But I guess I'm wasting my time because you were paid to put an ad and defend it, so let it be. Let's all praise Microcenter that gives people in the US RAM below AMD's recommended speed for "free", yay. Does it matter that Tom's Hardware actually used only DDR5-6000 kits in its Ryzen 7000 review? Of course not! Let's deceive people and tell them that it doesn't make any difference.
Actually a Russian troll farm account...

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Are they so afraid to not sell them that they give out RAM for free now? lol
Ram prices are one of the things putting the 7XXX series in a tight spot so it makes sense if they can afford the margins. At least AMD is willing to compromise on something. Meanwhile in EU 500 euro CPU + 300 euro DDR5, take it or leave it(they might give you a sticker though if you well behaved).

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
Are they so afraid to not sell them that they give out RAM for free now? lol
Most stores are not able to move Zen4 stock. About 8 in 10 stores can't move stock.

Free DDR5 is nice, wish we had that deal in Canada but I would still not buy into this crap AM5 platform.

Last edited:

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Actually a Russian troll farm account...
Yeah, because the top priority for a Russian troll farm is making posts about RAM kits offered in bundle that fall below the speed requirement suggested by AMD and used by almost everyone who reviewed Ryzen 7000, because they were provided by AMD itself apparently. Who's trolling whom?

The Ryzen 7000 series has default mem support which is 5200. These free DIMMs are faster than that. As others have pointed out, the difference in some tasks is barely over margin of error when compared to 6000 kits. Not everyone needs to have the bleeding edge of fast memory speeds and/or the optimal latency to enjoy their systems based on these new chips. The systems will still kick ass in a major way, whether you like it or not. Stop being so negative. This is a good deal.

RAM kits offered in bundle that fall below the speed requirement suggested by AMD

Get over it!

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah, because the top priority for a Russian troll farm is making posts about RAM kits offered in bundle that fall below the speed requirement suggested by AMD and used by almost everyone who reviewed Ryzen 7000, because they were provided by AMD itself apparently. Who's trolling whom?
All the benchmarks I have seen so far say RAM speed mostly doesn't matter.
A "requirement" implies it was the minimum, which all benchmarks so far show it clearly isn't with most differences being under 5% between exceptionally bad DDR5 and super-premium low-latency 6000MT/s kit. That 6000MT/s figure was only a pie-in-the-sky figure from a presentation a while ago during which AMD's people said Ryzen 7000' CPUs will be far less sensitive to fabric vs memory clock frequencies - the CPU's fabric bandwidth has been doubled, so there are at least hypothetical/synthetics gains up to there.

All I can read here is people not understanding MicroCenter is the holy land of tech enthusiasts and being jelly (like me) they don't have a MC near.

Stop being Jelly; Intel also gets nice deals at MC.

Regards.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
All the benchmarks I have seen so far say RAM speed mostly doesn't matter.
the CPU's fabric bandwidth has been doubled, so there are at least hypothetical/synthetics gains up to there.

still trash at x2 bandwidth , memory kits that hit 100GB/s on Intel only do about 80Gb/s on AMD Zen4
piggy back on IF mesh for memory access works ok with DDR4 since it has low CL

Zen4,
IF 2000 at 64bits should net you 128GB/s available
DDR5 6000 should net you 96GB/s
Aida64 show 80Gb/s for this config

So there's something wrong here...

I do wonder if AMD is supporting and or reimbursing this "giveaway" and with Micro Center handing-out free 32GB DDR5-5600 of memory. That is worth about $180 plus all by itself. Very strange and with the AMD 7000 series still being fresh off the press. Thoughts?
This is a MicroCenter thing, not an AMD thing.

MicroCenter does these sort of things all the time. Sure it's weird they're doing it with Ryzen 7K so soon, but it's not strange for them to give away huge discounts or hardware with purchases. They've been giving M.2 SSDs for a while now when you purchase stuff, so...

Intel fans are grasping at straws hard on this one. I find it kind of funny.

On second thought, I'm starting to wonder if this was even news wordy... Oh welp.

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
IF 2000 at 64bits should net you 128GB/s available
If it doesn't affect real-world game and application results, then it doesn't matter.

Also, the IF bandwidth is used for managing cache coherency, that is probably where the bulk of "missing bandwidth" has disappeared to and a large part of why Zen 1-3 were so heavily dependent on fabric clock.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I do wonder if AMD is supporting and or reimbursing this "giveaway" and with Micro Center handing-out free 32GB DDR5-5600 of memory. That is worth about $180 plus all by itself. Very strange and with the AMD 7000 series still being fresh off the press. Thoughts?
The idea behind in store promotions like this is that people will also buy other stuff while there. Anyone buying this bundle is going to need an AM5 motherboard, and that is where the real pain comes in for Zen4 system building. Obviously this type of promotion is a pretty ominous sign of how terrible sales of Zen4 are. Chart below is for Zen3 CPU's in Japan. The oddly skyrocketing demand in October is not likely what AMD wants to see.

14105e47c1315843a2d9fdc43420775b849a73d0c14e27888cbd13be049ef07a.png

Reactions: Tom Sunday