U.S. Senators Propose Internet Sales Tax Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
So.. it seems like if this horrible plan were to be passed, certain areas would suffer greatly, being forced to charge up to 4-5% more than if people were to buy from a state with low sales tax.

Play it off as 'defense of brick and mortar' businesses, but really its just hurting business all around. laissez-faire or bust

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Yet another money grab in the name of being fair! Thanks for snuffing out online businesses! How about remove the brick and mortar sales tax if you want to be fair?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
While this may have some merit I highly doubt the initiative for this proposal is not about States being able to rake in the $$...

ATIWOLF

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Quick, someone go let the republicans out of their cage! Sic em boys.

For the most part, I wouldn't mind. Some online shops (Barnes & Noble) allow for frequent cuponing that essentially take care of any taxes charged. I don't mind tax as long as it's used in a way we can approve of. Don't pass this until you establish a more efficient and responsible budget.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I buy stuff online because I can afford to. Tax it and maybe I'll choose to not afford to. If you want to see my spending after California upped taxes to nearly 10% vs. the years prior. You'll see this state lost money on tax revenues collected from my purchases. I'll gladly not buy stuff I don't need to avoid taxation.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't the law already that you are supposed to list all online orders on your yearly tax return and pay the tax on them? So this law would just redirect the taxes the the state from which the merchandise was sold?

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Big problem with sales taxes is that they are extremely regressive - they place a much larger tax burden on the poorer segments of the population than they do the wealthier ones. As such, the Republicans would likely support this, since tax breaks for the rich are a central plank of their agenda. I'm with ATIWOLF - they shouldn't get access to more tax revenue until they can demonstrate that what they already have is being spent responsibly.

There's just one catch: In order to do so, states would need to have signed on to one of two 'simplified' tax plans.

When simplified mean more complicated... morons: It's because of practice like that that the middle class people get screwed over.

We need a tax reform: too many disguised taxes. Get rid of some and keep sale tax and income. Then learn how to do a budget. That the way population lives every day

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
here is a good one........what's up with these idiots? do they still receive full benefits after just one term? our government is so corrupt

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Pay more tax, support more wars, bailout more currupt buisness, pay the fat cats in the goverment, they need you so they can spend you money !! Cone on, isn't it fun to pay tax so that people in goverment and their friend can be right? While the large corporations get all the breaks, the average consumer has to sell their sole.

G

"Currently, sales taxes on online transactions are prohibited due to a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota..."

I know for a fact that this isn't completely correct. I've been charged tax when ordering from major retail stores websites plenty of times. It may not be required, but it's definitely not prohibited.

G

Always give me a warm, fuzzy feeling when I read about our law-makers trying to find ways around the laws. Can you say, hypocrites!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]"Currently, sales taxes on online transactions are prohibited due to a 1992 U.S. Supreme Court decision, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota..."I know for a fact that this isn't completely correct. I've been charged tax when ordering from major retail stores websites plenty of times. It may not be required, but it's definitely not prohibited.[/citation]
You are usually taxed when the online retailer has a warehouse in the state you are ordering from. If they don't have a warehouse you don't get taxed.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
"There's just one catch: In order to do so, states would need to have signed on to one of two 'simplified' tax plans."

Ah, the drinking age increase all over again.

10th amendment? What's that?

Naxos

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
(Internet Sales Tax*)
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom, if agreed, stayed home to raise the kids.

G

Ok folks i want you to vote in a tax code change so we can collect a possibly small sum of money from online sales (which would probably become smaller when user decide not to buy it cause of the added tax)

U.S. Senators want costumers to play state tax from the sales site, pay shipping, and without question states not benefiting will force sales tax to the customer. This will destroy online sales and cripple shipping company's. This is a very bad ideal as currently online sales create taxable shipping jobs for all states, increase the sales of gas with huge taxes, and delivery vehicle sales. Without question this will incur a negative outcome for all involved.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The US does have some of the lowest Tax rates in the modern world with all things considered... And I'm actually FOR a lot of taxes... Things have to be paid for... But we SHOULD also have more-say about where that money goes... Still, an Internet Tax is going too far... It's a store... It is ZERO difference then buying over the phone and shipping it. If you're local to the store, you should pay taxes as you do now. Otherwise you'll be doubling the taxation which in and of itself is illegal. We pay 'federal' taxes when we are paid by our employers (or win big sums of money, etc.). We pay 'state' taxes yearly and/or through sales taxes (often, states with higher sales tax rates don't have state tax collection annually, like Texas).

Any way you look at this; this one is bad... And that's even coming for someone who is usually pro taxes... This one isn't any good though and it should be laughed right out of consideration...

Status
Not open for further replies.