U.S. 'Six Strikes' Internet Warning System Ready This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Soon, pirates begin the trivial task of using proxies and VPNs, and this six-strike system will fail spectacularly at catching prolific infringers, leaving only inexperienced users who Googled "free music download" or "free <insert sport event> stream" to be caught by the mess.

Meanwhile, college students across the nation continue to receive mail from the RIAA stating "We know. Pay us $750 per song via credit card or we will sue you."

USA! USA! USA!

:pt1cable:

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]Soon, pirates begin the trivial task of using proxies and VPNs, and this six-strike system will fail spectacularly at catching prolific infringers, leaving only inexperienced users who Googled "free music download" or "free stream" to be caught by the mess. Meanwhile, college students across the nation continue to receive mail from the RIAA stating "We know. Pay us $750 per song via credit card or we will sue you."USA! USA! USA![/citation]

^ This, onion routing and VPNs have and will defeat this system miserably. This will only succeed to fry the small fish in the pirate sea.

I second the chant: USA! USA! USA!

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
They will need "solid" proof of you pirating which already means invading your privacy with traffic analyzing software(s). But wait, what if you use outgoing encryption utilities? If they attempt to break it, wouldn't it be a lot more concerning? Conspiracy theory, I call...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]Who's up for a private Darknet? Anyone?[/citation]
They're sure to make it illegal as well.... It's only a matter of time.

Remember in the Nazi Germany the ones who were first sent to working camps were the (already few) opposers of Hitler...

jacobm95

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
What about amendment number 4?

And does know one in the government realize that people who pirate, no they are pirating? This "education" belief that the 6 strike system will instill fear into those who pirate is just going to fail utterly.

In all honesty the piraters will just improvise, adapt and overcome, like humans have been doing since the dawn of man.

vpn, vpn, vpn proxy, this sytem of "6 strikes will fail" though it might get the less knowledgable of the population who don't know about anonomitty

Sorry for my speling mistakes.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I know someone that got a certified letter signed by 6 of NBC/Universal's lawyers saying 'We know you downloaded our movie, next time we catch you we will sue for thousands.' Did that stop him? No.

He told me that ISP's can not really tell what you are downloading.
But uploading a lot of data gets their attention.
Now he doesn't seed the torrents he downloads.
Problem solved.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
"Soon, pirates begin the trivial task of using proxies and VPNs, "

And what will the VPN companies do if they get a letter requesting them, by international law, to contact the end user? Do you honestly think they will allow potential 'criminal acts' to continue in public for any length of time? Although you get a different IP address that may point to anywhere in the world, that IP address will always be traceable back to the VPN provider, and therin lies the problem with all VPN's.

For an interesting read regarding standard/public VPN's, check out:-

http://forums.newsbin.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=29170

Do you want more convincing? ok then.....how about "LulzSec Suspect Learns Even HideMyAss.com Has Limits":-

http://www.informationweek.com/security/privacy/lulzsec-suspect-learns-even-hidemyasscom/231602248

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
My only question is how much information about you this plan will gather. Other than that, it's not a huge deal. Whatever you may think, pirating is illegal. Receiving stolen goods is illegal. Technically they don't even need to give you six strikes, they could just track you down and haul you off to jail, let the legal system deal with you. This should also put an end to anyone who claims they didn't know they were pirating since by strike four it would just be willful ignorance on the part of the individual. Keep in mind that anyone actively circumventing these measures will likely be pilling on evidence against themselves if they're ever caught. Like I said, I do have some privacy concerns, but it so far doesn't sound like something ISPs are unable to do right now if they wanted, which is another problem entirely.

What about IP spoofing? I can see hacker groups doing things like causing millions of IP's to show up on the auditing RIAA uses to report these offenses. That or hand picking IP's to spoof targets like RIAA lawyers. I'm not suggesting either but it seems this law will make it very easy for hackers to hassle people and/or force an internet connection to be disrupted by the ISP.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
So how is this going to work when you have 50+ college students using the same internet connection? Most apartment managers won't be able to figure out who is doing the downloading, and cutting off the internet for students in the middle of the semester is not going to go over well.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
+1 to that last.
Nowadays is extremely easy to decript a wifi password with WEP security. Even WPA is crackeable. Public wifi as well and I can already see Starbucks and other hotspots crowded with pirates

These laws are just ridiculous.
Nice job USA, first Megaupload, now this.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
... That or hand picking IP's to spoof targets like RIAA lawyers.
Well, congressmen passing the legislation to prevent piracy were caught pirating.
What's to say that the lawyers trying to enforce these anti-piracy laws aren't also pirating?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Is there a law that says you have to limit how other people use your network? If I know that someone is using my wifi to pirate does that make me responsible somehow? Seems like even if I was liable somehow I could only be guilty of being an accessory to copyright infringement.

I still think that copyright infringement should only be a crime if someone is making money off of it. If it is just people passing around copied files with no money changing hands then it should be ok. Now if a website decides to try and make money off of this (via ads or whatever) then that should be illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.