News U.S. to Invest $42 Billion in Universal Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure hope one of the provisions in the law is to ensure that the companies taking the money ACTUALLY install the new fiber/lines/infrastructure. I seem to recall that a bunch of the current players (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, et al) took money from the existing broadband communications fund, but a lot never actually created the infrastructure with the money they took.

The other side of this problem is that even if telecoms want to expand their infrastructure, there's the problem of getting those affected by the construction to agree to it.

I did listen to an NPR podcast about something related to this where low income families could have their internet access costs subsidized instead. I think that would have more of an impact of getting broadband access to more people.

Giroro

Splendid
Oh boy, more dark fiber.
I sure hope one of the provisions in the law is to ensure that the companies taking the money ACTUALLY install the new fiber/lines/infrastructure. I seem to recall that a bunch of the current players (Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, et al) took money from the existing broadband communications fund, but a lot never actually created the infrastructure with the money they took.

As far as I know they installed the fiber, they just never connected any customers or equipment to it... Then I think they eventually sold the dark fiber they got paid to build for extra profit, over a decade later.

And now a couple thousand people get to exclusively benefit from those billions in tax dollars by having the opportunity to buy a Google Fiber subscription, in like 3 major cities.

Geef

Distinguished
I sure hope one of the provisions in the law is to ensure that the companies taking the money ACTUALLY install the new fiber/lines/infrastructure.

I totally agree.

People also don't need a super fast connection to use the internet for most things. Even a 10Mbit connection to everyone would make them able to watch 1080p on their TV or phone. If they setup wireless and just cap it 10Mbit it would work out fine.

This would work well for companies that make you pay for connection too. People want to watch 4k TV? Then you gotta pay for that speed!

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
They should also have to pay is back with interest and a large penalty if fail to do it!

Reactions: thestryker
I know my parents haven’t had good access to internet. Dad told me recently that years ago when a similar program happened that the phone company came through and laid fiber and never hooked it up to the homes. I guess dad asked the guy about it and they were pretty much putting it in because they were getting money to do so.

while i hope it works liek they want....this just makes the "who will pay for it?" when peopel ask for healthcare being made affordable for everyone...

Also didn't Comcast promise to expand when they got $$$ a few yrs ago and foudn out they never did and pocketed the $?

We don't need these major players expanding coverage...we need Gov to have their OWN network provider as an option so the mega corps in the ISP sphere can't keep robbing people and having data limits. (its 2023...limits shouldnt exist)

Geef

Distinguished
They need a provision where it says the upgrades have to take place after X date and have to be directly related to universal access.

Also give two choices:
  1. A reimbursement after completion.
  2. A PrePay with triple damages if not completed on time.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
We have small ISPs getting contracts to lay fiber in remote areas basically as a utility. Prices are reasonable. Just saw 1000 fiber business lines for sub $200. $50 for consumer. Works great on the consumer side until it doesnt, and have heard when it doesnt it can take days to get back up...

Reactions: usertests

cyrusfox

Distinguished
What a waste. There are market solutions that are already solving this, look at starlink or any of the 5g web plans. No reason to put fiber in sparse areas, horribly inefficient as it is costly to both provide and maintain.

I am in a decent populated city (100k pop) and we only have 2 choices, DSL [100/10] and Cable [up to 950/50 but normally 300/30]. Download is always more than sufficient, issue is always the upload speed.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
$200 Billion Broadband Scandal
The Book Of Broken Promises: $400 Billion Broadband Scandal And Free The Net
Shocker: Billions In Broadband Subsidies Wasted As Government Turns Blind Eye To Fraud
Why billions in broadband money may go to the wrong places

If we're lucky this time, some of that money will go to Starlink and mobile, more homes will get fiber, and prices will be driven down. But keep your expectations low because almost nobody notices when hundreds of billions of dollars are wasted redistributed.

Last edited:
Chattanooga Tennessee has the best internet in the USA. It is run by their public utility that used 2009 stimulus funds to put it together. Since it is a public utility, they don't need to turn a profit and customers pay just the cost of maintenance, staffing, and upgrades. I think that USPS would be a good candidate to make as a public internet utility for the entire country. There are closed post offices in many rural areas that could be turned into ISP hubs. Since it would be a public utility, costs will be lower for customers just like Chattanooga.

Reactions: Why_Me
What a waste. There are market solutions that are already solving this, look at starlink or any of the 5g web plans. No reason to put fiber in sparse areas, horribly inefficient as it is costly to both provide and maintain.
Starlink's latency is still higher than cable and the up/down speeds are lower as well. 5G fixed wireless is able to provide speeds around that of cable but it will vary a bit more but cannot compare to fiber uploading speeds. In the long run fiber is the way of the future and installing it now will still be cheaper in the long run.

Did anyone really look into this beyond the federal government signing off on $42 billion?

Each state is getting an allocation of that money: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...unding-find-out-how-much-your-state-will-get/

The state you live in may be holding "town hall" like events to take questions or gather up concerns. It's not like the federal government is going "okay, the big telecoms are getting money" and that's that.

So if you don't do anything, assuming your state is allowing for public hearings, then that's pretty much on you.

Reactions: IamNotChatGpt
Status
Not open for further replies.