U_10.04LTS still being updated

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
My legacy U_10.04LTS system just got a new OS version courtesy of update-manager. It's 1/2 way thru June! How long beyond the April **drop dead** date will Canonical continue support for U_10.04 ? Is this just a "teaser" to commit to U_12.04 or is usrland getting enterprise treatment !?

Anyrate U_12.04 has impressed me vis' a Xeon system with smooth MATE replacement for comical UNITY; Canonical gets another cheer for continuing this additional legacy support for older HW. Shuttlesworth is earning a robust fair-play reputation money can't buy.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Please don't break any part of your production system until you are certain everything works 100% on your Xeon system.

And LTS releases are awesome. xD

"It is Canonical's 12th release of Ubuntu and the third Long Term Support (LTS) release. Canonical provided support for the desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04 until 9 May 2013, but intends to support the server version until April 2015."

-Wikipedia

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
'So help me Hanna ..." yesterday I was prompted by **download manager** to install and entire new OS version: U_2.6.32.xx.yy if memory serves. Other SW came down also as it has since beyond the May 3 **drop-dead** date. This newly downloaded sofdware is for my legacy U_10.04 systen AFAICT rather than the new U_12.04 for which I have I continuing UPGRADE prompt !!

Let me restate: Running U_10.04 my DLoad manager gives me a continuing-primpt to UPGRADE to U_12,04. Never-the-less I also get continuing upgrades for my legacy U_10.04 system even tho its after-time/past-time for Canonical support to be removed. I should get **no** legacy support, but ratjher it's ongoing. Am I the only casual Ubuntu lusr getting such extended support ?? I syrely have not paid for it!

I think Canonical is just doing the "right thing" for laggards like me., perhaps because they know I've installed U_12.04 on new hardware. and the CIA/NSA likes to keep tabs on such academic right-wing trouble-makers .....