UBEE DVW3201B Dilemma - Before i spend the money.... do i really need 3 wireless routers?

reardoma

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
So i live in a 1bd apartment in New York City and have Time Warner Cable as my internet provider.

Prior to this install, i've always gotten from TWC a modem and wireless router, which at one point i ran an ethernet cable from to a 2nd wireless router across the house via a wired ethernet connection between the wireless router TWC gave me and one of my own.

So i get this UBEE DVW3201B device that's some sort of "all-in-one" device and is both the modem and wireless router. I simply want to to use one of the four built in ethernet ports to run an ethernet cable to my back bedroom to a my personal wireless router to extend the signal.

TWC says i'd have to put the device in bridged mode to use my own personal router. On this UBEE device, bridged mode disables the wireless radio. So basically my only option to achieve my desired result is to buy a 2nd personal router.

Is this the route to go? Wireless AP points do not meet my needs for various reasons. If someone can help me use this UBEE beast to meet my needs please let me know!

Please help before i spend......say $15 for yet another router!

Solution
Adding a second router is easy. Check this link:

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/set-up-wireless-router-time-warner-cable-1741.html

You are essentially going to daisy chain one router to the other. The second router will pick up an IP address from the TWC router and act as a gateway for the subnet you create with the second router. For the second router's internal network, use a different IP address range than the TWC router uses (e.g. if TWC uses 192.168.1.X, then set the second router to use 192.168.2.X).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Why do you need more than one router in a 1BD apartment. Unless your apartment is huge the TWC router should meet your needs. Adding multiple routers and network hops actually lowers performance.

Please clarify the problem you are trying to solve.

reardoma

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011

The problem i'm trying to solve involves hooking a wireless router up to the UBEE dvw3201b router.

I'm not trying to be rude, but the reason i did not go into detail about my living situation is because i want to know the answer to a SPECIFIC question, not just "how to make things work for me as they are"...

instead...

does anyone know how to hook up a 2nd wireless router to the UBEE dvw3201b modem/router combo that comes from TWC where i am - NYC.

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Adding a second router is easy. Check this link:

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/set-up-wireless-router-time-warner-cable-1741.html

You are essentially going to daisy chain one router to the other. The second router will pick up an IP address from the TWC router and act as a gateway for the subnet you create with the second router. For the second router's internal network, use a different IP address range than the TWC router uses (e.g. if TWC uses 192.168.1.X, then set the second router to use 192.168.2.X).

Solution