Ubisoft Offers Free DLC, Free Game for Assassin's Creed Unity Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
It's encouraging to see Ubisoft take responsibility. I'd scratched the game completely off my list (I've played the others and generally enjoyed them), now I might get it at some point.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Funny i never had a single issue with the game when I started playing it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. A little annoyed at the game offer - I have all those I want already! Maybe I will be able to gift one? Here's hoping.

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
"We're sorry, here's some games that you probably weren't going to buy or you would have already so doesn't cost us anything to offer you."

All very well and good, missing the important bit though. "IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN"

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It's good they do this, but it is still no reason to support their next games until they improve their launch quality. Never ever ever buy a (Ubisoft) game that has a launch day review -embargo. Ubisoft, sadly, does not much care about the quality of their products (the individual devs likely do), just that they can get them on sale each holiday. I know people don't like it when games are delayed, but I much rather have a delayed game than a buggy one, which just wastes my time and energy.

aztec_scribe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
That is a great move from them. Giving away such current games is going to cost them despite what some people might think so it will make them think twice before their next release.

G

"Personally, I miss the old days. Before games became massively connected to the Internet, there was no easy way for game studios to patch their games, forcing them to ensure bug-free releases."

There's never actually been a bug-free piece of software. Doing some searching on this the really old games from 20+ years had tons of bugs too. They were easier to fix though, because the game wasn't as complex. However, as long as they iron out the bugs that make the game unplayable, then that's okay. Little minor issues won't ruin the game.

aule10

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Only thing is missing, when do we get the free game? they have yet to anounce how and when we can claim it.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Another big issue with the game is that a lot of the content is placed on smartphone apps like the Companion app. Content that you can't get any other way, ingame, on your console/PC. Anyway, I kinda lost interest after AC 3 or summit.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
@magnetite2

"There's never actually been a bug-free piece of software"

Nintendo games are pretty much bug-free to me! As soon as they are released too at that!

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Impossible to guarantee in the real world, with all the various configurations of software and hardware out there today. Though, it appeared that these issues cropped up more on the most commonly used configurations, which had me going "Bwuh!"
I'm wondering if the fact that these issues were only present on PC's was a sign that these issues were intentionally put in to degrade PC's 'golden image' with the uber-gamers.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
"The compensation is simple: the Dead Kings DLC will be available for free when it comes out, which would otherwise have been part of the Season Pass. Do you already own a Season Pass? Then you can enjoy the free DLC and choose a free game..........."

How can the DLC be "free" if you paid for a season pass?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
is it only me or do eny one ells get reminded of the "Im Sorry" campaign from south park from the oil company spilling out oil over and over?

Eisbrecher34

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I'm sure I'll get down voted, but honestly this is a pretty nice deal for those who suffered through Unity.

First, if anyone has been buying a lot of games lately, it seems that releases are leaning more towards bug-flawed Betas than they are actual polished releases. So many titles over the last few years have been atrocious at launch, and while they may not be as bad as Unity was, some were pretty unplayable or close to it.

This leads me to my second part which is that the list of games to choose from are pretty decent. Even if you weren't planning on playing them it is hard to look a $25-$50 game for free in the face and not take it. Just the fact that they are compensating players is better than what most companies (to include Ubisoft in the past) have done.

This certainly isn't an excuse for the company to release such a bug ridden game at launch, but unfortunately in today's mega money gaming industry it is almost becoming the standard (along with Day 1 DLC >.< ). This seems to be a goodwill gesture that can at least make you shake your head and say "Ugh whatever" instead of feeling a burning passion to murder the executives that allow these games to be released in the state that they are in.

It's interesting how some have had no issue at all and enjoyed it, and others have been so pissed off by the product they turn on their fellow players that have had a trouble free experience with it. If it wasn't for the fact the company is giving away all these titles for free to apologize; you could mark it up to user error. However since they are making this effort there must be some truth to their poor QC on the game. Maybe next time they will do a better job making sure the game runs great on all the popular builds and platforms rather then just trying to kill an honest prelaunch assessments.

The DLC will be released for free, so people that didn't have the season pass will get it. Those people that had the season pass, and therefore would have gotten the DLC as part of it, have the option of getting an additional game.

Status
Not open for further replies.