Ubisoft Reveals PC Specs For 'The Division,' Beta Runs January 29-31

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game looks pretty cool, but the last Ubisoft game I got really excited about... What was it again??... Oh... That's right. Watch Dogs had such a terrible release, I can't get excited about this until everyone else plays it for a few months first.

I'll stick to Rocksmith 2014 as my Ubisoft game of choice.

I signed up for the beta through nvidia's offer. Ultimately, it still ends with the typical promotional lingo - pre-order now to ensure you get in the beta. I like that it also gave me an option to invite 3 or 4 others in as well. You do need a valid Uplay account for the offer.

My nephew's just getting into online gaming, so we're on the market for a co-op, and its pretty much down to this or the new Ghost Recon (if I can peel him away from MGSV)

dstarr3

Distinguished
This game looks pretty cool, but the last Ubisoft game I got really excited about... What was it again??... Oh... That's right. Watch Dogs had such a terrible release, I can't get excited about this until everyone else plays it for a few months first.

Watch Underscore Dogs was awful, but then again, they did just put out Rainbow Six: Siege, and that's really very good. It's hard to tell with Ubi, they seem to put out equal amounts of crap, meh, and awesome games.

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Wondering why it recommends the FX-8350, but sets the minimum as the FX-6100? When I bought the 6300 a few years ago (still using it), there were virtually no differences gaming between it and the FX-8 series. I've got my 6300 clocked at 4.2GHz, I would think it would perform just as well?

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Weird to see such a high card for the recommended. The newest gen, $300+ card is the recommended card? Can someone who builds a PC today but only spends $200 or $250 on a videocard no longer expect to be able to play a new game well? Especially with the current consoles using the x86 archecture, you would think if the game can be made to run well on those cheap PoS cards, it could be made to run well on much lower end cards than a 970...

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
do you really interest in a RPG with a FPS front that you put a whole clip of headshots into an enemy and he is still standing? this is Ubisuck version of Destiny - a bullet spong FPS/RPG.

Traciatim

Distinguished
Weird to see such a high card for the recommended. The newest gen, $300+ card is the recommended card? Can someone who builds a PC today but only spends $200 or $250 on a videocard no longer expect to be able to play a new game well? Especially with the current consoles using the x86 archecture, you would think if the game can be made to run well on those cheap PoS cards, it could be made to run well on much lower end cards than a 970...

The recommended setup is mostly just marketing fluff. It's for the experience as the designers intended it, which means on some of the highest settings. So no, if you odn't have a high end card I don't think you should expect to run everything on the highest settings. If you buy mid range cards expect mid range settings.

The main problem is that is they put mid range cards on there and everyone just cranks their settings up which causes poor performance then suddenly it will get a reputation of being poorly optimized and bad performing even with the recommended hardware... blah blah blah...

Anyway, it's Ubisoft, so rational people shouldn't buy it for at least 6 months anyway.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Wondering why it recommends the FX-8350, but sets the minimum as the FX-6100? When I bought the 6300 a few years ago (still using it), there were virtually no differences gaming between it and the FX-8 series. I've got my 6300 clocked at 4.2GHz, I would think it would perform just as well?

Remember it's on consoles too, so it's probably well-threaded. Looks like 4 threads is the minimum (toss out your Pentiums) but on the AMD side they're spec'd for 6+ due to weak IPC. Still I bet you could get by with a 4-thread piledriver if your clocks are decent.

I'd like to see this game added to the CPU gaming tests to replace one of the aging titles.

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
do you really interest in a RPG with a FPS front that you put a whole clip of headshots into an enemy and he is still standing? this is Ubisuck version of Destiny - a bullet spong FPS/RPG.
And yet... people love Borderlands...

dstarr3

Distinguished

I'm convinced that the reason people love Borderlands so hard is because they always play it with friends, and fail to realize the fun they're having is just because they're hanging out with their mates, not because of anything the game is doing. If the game is only fun with friends, it's not a fun game.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I see that Intel Core i7-3770 (Ivy Bridge, 3.4 GHz) is the recommended Intel CPU.
I'm planning a complete rebuild and have my eye on i5 6600K.
Will this game make best use of i7 with multi-threading? or is that recommendation "just marketing fluff"?

Is "The Division" the start of something great in gaming?

sylentz199

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

Thank DX12. Just making it easier for console devs to release crappier ports for PC. Also on the threading unless it's DX12 then you're still stuck with basically 1 core doing the work.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I meant to ask if it was making full use of i7 multithreading.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Regardless. At least ubisoft released a PC version.. Bungie should go back to making halo. That actually made sense since it was just for 1 platform oh and the first two for some reason had a PC release. Somewhere after 2 they didn't know how to make awesome games for the PC. My only thought would be they didn't have the tools then and now to make a awesome looking game.

I felt the same but it makes a lot of sense. You'll be running to and fro so it'd suck if a level 3-5 area could one-shot ya on the way to some place.

I really started to like it. I felt like I had a chance in combat. What I lack in twitchy reaction speed, I can make up for in good tactics with the cover system and abilities. I had some really intense firefights last night. Got sweaty.

Status
Not open for further replies.