Ubisoft's Internet DRM Servers Are Under Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Boycott Ubisoft's games and any other DRM-loaded game. Hit them where it hurts: the bottom-line.
And I wouldn't bet for a second against those that are hard at work to crack that SOB.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
While in theory this type of DRM sounds good, it really is a terrible idea.
2 points that come to mind for me:

1. This is absolutely wrong for them to do this.
2. This does bring up the point of when the servers are down due to power, money, "Lack of interest in a game", bankruptcy, DOS attacks, etc.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
UBISoft...

Take the hint. DRM is costing you MONEY, COSTING YOU CUSTOMERS. Its a waste of money and resources to add the DRM to your games... it breaks the game... yours won't be the first nor the last.

Solution, come out with a patch that removes the internet DRM... imagine if ALL your future games are knocked out. EA is already bad enough.

DRM does NOT stop pirates! Never had, never will.

For once, I am actually glad that botnet's exist. I won't be buying Assassin's Creed 2 unless Ubisoft relaxes the restrictions.It probably won't affect me or 95% of their other customers, but I refuse to support a company that does what Ubisoft has done with AC 2 based solely on principle. I was pissed off about Spore, and I'm just as pissed off about this.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Forgot to add.

When you decide to no-longer support the product, get bought out or go out of business... how are these people supposed to PLAY the games they PAID money for?!

So yes... boycott YOUR products... ALL of them! Same as I boycott EA games with their SecuROM limit installs and background rootkit like programs.

DRM only hurts your customers.

Mirrors Edge = cracked
Bioshock = cracked
Spore = cracked

Somebody name a single game that *IS* not cracked... and not just that, was is the record for the LONGEST lasting game before its cracked? 3~5 days?

mrdrinkinglysol

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Nice going. Now you can look forward to even less PC games because of attacks like this. Why would they even bother with PC gamers if they're going to act like spoiled little kids when they don't get their way?

Because they are spoiled little kids.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mrdrinkinglysol[/nom]Nice going. Now you can look forward to even less PC games because of attacks like this. Why would they even bother with PC gamers if they're going to act like spoiled little kids when they don't get their way?[/citation]

As much as i disagree with a ddos against ubisoft, i could care less if they continue to develop games for the PC. Valve has and will always have my best interests at heart,I have no problem playing valve games as long as I have a pc, and emulators to boot.

Here is an idea, get your head out of your ass ubisoft and use Steams copy protection, much more user friendly, or make a product that people will want to buy because of the multi player benefits...It's no secret that Steams copy protection is the shit

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I dont agree with DDOS, but the fact that this IS an issue is one reason the DRM is a bad idea. Not to mention the fact that its a small revolt(admittedly, probably from peeps who even even played the game yet) that should serve as a kick in the ass to Ubisoft.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
While I think this was a stupid way to go about it, I am, in a way, glad that this happened. It'll help bring the DRM issue to light. A lot of players (the less technically-inclined) likely don't really think about it that much. Hopefully when they got booted off their game it made them stop and go, "Hey... wait. What happens if something more permanent happens to their servers?"

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
When you know its your fault for implementing severe measures and it doesn't work out the way you planned it, blame some one else. I'm not buying the line of BS they are serving. they screwed the pooch and now they are trying to save face.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
oooh man this is getting hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they thought they could get away with it... the real truth is: ubisoft you cant!!

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]SOB. This is the worst way possible to convince companies that heavy-DRM is a bad idea.[/citation]
Maybe is a lie and there wasn't a DoS attack at all!

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Why is this such a bad way to convince companies to stop DRM?

It's all about money. DDos'd servers means a worse user experience means less buyers (especially just after release, where a large percent of the sales are made).
Many people may now wait to see if the DDos keeps up before buying. In that time a crack will be released which works when the DDos is going.

This should mean a massive reduction in sales due directly to their DRM being DDos'd. If DDos'ing DRM becomes common, it'll become bad business to use DRM.

Enkidu98

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
DRM of this type only punishes your paying customers, while your non-paying consumers find that at worst, they wait a little longer to steal your game.

They weren't going to buy it in the first place, so your bottom line does not change. They aren't convinced into buying your game because of your DRM.

But people who are legitimate consumers and who support your company and your industry by paying their hard earned dollars for your product end up getting screwed.

Not good business.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]Why is this such a bad way to convince companies to stop DRM?It's all about money. DDos'd servers means a worse user experience means less buyers (especially just after release, where a large percent of the sales are made).Many people may now wait to see if the DDos keeps up before buying. In that time a crack will be released which works when the DDos is going.This should mean a massive reduction in sales due directly to their DRM being DDos'd. If DDos'ing DRM becomes common, it'll become bad business to use DRM.[/citation]

this ddos isn't realistically preventing them from making sales, it is only inconveniencing the people that legitimately bought it. It isn't going to hinder sales because this ddos isn't all over the mainstream news, and early poor performance for 5 percent of ubisoft gamers also won't reach most buyers ears, so again, this ddos won't stop people from buying the game, it will only prevent them/you/me from enjoying it. I didn't buy it because im not interested in playing it, but a ddos won't stop me from buying it either.

saravis4

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Is there any proof that this was an attack. I wouldn't be so quick to say "Oh poor Ubisoft." For all we know this could be BS to protect their own asses because of a failure on their part. I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.