Ubisoft's Post-Apocalyptic "I Am Alive" Coming to the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This game will be rather popular as it goes well with the mood that many have had these past few years. Survivalist games are popular[/citation]

Resident Evil series , Silent Hill series , Fear series , Left 4 Dead, Amnesia , Dead Space, Penumbra series. Call of Cthulu, BioShock, Aliens vs Predator, Metro 2033, Doom. these survivalist games i enjoyed playing in the last decade.

Tip to resident evil always conserve ammo and save big weapon for boss ;)
really love this game story arc.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Incoming ubisoft always online limited installs uplaycrap drm. Day one pirate, because it doesnt have drm.[/citation]

So you're not going to buy the game because you dislike a part of the product but you're going to pirate it? Why don't you buy it and download the DRM-free scene version.

No, you won't do that because you're an idiot who thinks he's entitled to everything. You just want something to complain about so you blame the DRM. You'd pirate it even if it was DRM-free.

Asshole.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]So you're not going to buy the game because you dislike a part of the product but you're going to pirate it? Why don't you buy it and download the DRM-free scene version.No, you won't do that because you're an idiot who thinks he's entitled to everything. You just want something to complain about so you blame the DRM. You'd pirate it even if it was DRM-free.Asshole.[/citation]

So i should keep handing them money even if i dont want their spyware drm? Right on, brother. Oh and since i can get something, i am entitled to it.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If your a Steam user you have no right to complain about Ubisoft's DRM.

But if you are then you might want to keep on eye on GOG.com they might have a DRM free version.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]If your a Steam user you have no right to complain about Ubisoft's DRM. But if you are then you might want to keep on eye on GOG.com they might have a DRM free version.[/citation]
Valve games dont require always online nor they have limited ammount of installs.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]So i should keep handing them money even if i dont want their spyware drm?[/citation]

Absolutely not. If you don't like a product, here's a thought: DON'T BUY IT.

But just because you don't like certain aspects of the product does not give you the right to steal it either.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Absolutely not. If you don't like a product, here's a thought: DON'T BUY IT. But just because you don't like certain aspects of the product does not give you the right to steal it either.[/citation]
Im not stealing anything, no one loses their game. Also its not a lost sale if im not buying it to begin with.

If ubisoft treats everyone, even customers as their enemies, might aswell be the enemy then.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Valve games dont require always online nor they have limited ammount of installs.[/citation]

All Valve games [publish] probably requires always online. But 3rd party games in Steam, some may have the option not to have DRM (however i'm not sure.) So far all the games i bought requires an internet connection. However you are right about the limited amount of installs.

In recent news about Steam coming to linux spur anxiety of the founding fathers of the Free Software movement - Richard M Stallman called it

‘unethical’. “They deny freedom to their users. If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having non-free programs on your computer.”

source: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]All Valve games [publish] probably requires always online. But 3rd party games in Steam, some may have the option not to have DRM (however i'm not sure.) So far all the games i bought requires an internet connection. However you are right about the limited amount of installs. In recent news about Steam coming to linux spur anxiety of the founding fathers of the Free Software movement - Richard M Stallman called it ‘unethical’. “They deny freedom to their users. If you want freedom, one requisite for it is not having non-free programs on your computer.”source: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html[/citation]

Dont know about you but i can play almost all my steam games offline.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Pennanen[/nom]Dont know about you but i can play almost all my steam games offline.[/citation]

correction. Steam is DRM. The game itself doesnt need its own drm if its on steam steam takes care of that already. you need to be logged in to play. you can only log in from one location at a time and it knows this with internet connection even if your playing in offline mode.

the way the steam client itself works it basically adds DRM artificially to any game you purchase on steam, making sure its 1 legit license per person. its just that as far as DRM's go its probably the most flexible
that's why we can tolerate it. and all the benefits you get from the steam client outweigh any of the drawbacks

However all distributions store should follow GOG.com, they keep all the community stuff on the website. no client, they dont have their own DRM on their games. you can download a game as many times and install it as many times as you want, its yours to do with as you please

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Game yay! Ubisoft nay!

I think I will skip this one unless Ubisoft come to their senses and get rid of their spyware trojan DRM they infest everyone with...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]So you're not going to buy the game because you dislike a part of the product but you're going to pirate it? Why don't you buy it and download the DRM-free scene version.No, you won't do that because you're an idiot who thinks he's entitled to everything. You just want something to complain about so you blame the DRM. You'd pirate it even if it was DRM-free.Asshole.[/citation]

*Internet connection goes down because some asshole tore out the cable amplifiers to recycle them for cash*

No problem, I'll just...

This game cannot run without internet connection. Please try again.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hopefully it won't have the Ubi-DRM on the steam version. Also I have a feeling this game will be crap. Ubisoft, "It didn't succeed in consoles, maybe we can make a buck feeding this trash to the PC." PC first or who cares? The PC is the hardest market so act like it instead of giving us a boring linear shooter with an overused storyline and poor graphics for a PC game.

Yo don't know how cable internet works if you think a Cable Amplifier is helping. The only reason you would need a Cable Amplifier for a Cable Internet connection is if the modem is more then 250 feet from the demarcation. The cable amplifier would then need to be placed near the demarcation. If its less then that, or if the amplifier is after the demark, then you are simply amplifying noise which is pretty useless. If there are more then 3 splits on the line, then its just a bad wiring configuration.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I hate the fact that any game requires you to be online at all, steam is okay if you save your password and stuff, but still it's annoying.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Resident Evil series , Silent Hill series , Fear series , Left 4 Dead, Amnesia , Dead Space, Penumbra series. Call of Cthulu, BioShock, Aliens vs Predator, Metro 2033, Doom. these survivalist games i enjoyed playing in the last decade. Tip to resident evil always conserve ammo and save big weapon for boss really love this game story arc.[/citation]
AvP and Metro are not really survival games. But on the other hand The Thing definitely is.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hopefully the game will have fully customizable controls, direct weapon selection (not lame console-like toggles like Crysis2) and Quick Save feature, etc... Otherwise, meh...

Why can't they develop for a PC and then port to consoles since the consoles run 8 years old hardware and require dumbed down versions anyway??? I'm sick and tired of lame-ass console ports.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Soory but STEAM does not need always on connection or does it have limited installs. Heck I have games that I bought for my PC that STEAM will allow me to download and install on my MAC now for no extra charge.[/citation]

I think you misunderstood, where ever steam client is installed your games can be downloaded but just one client log in at a time. steam client must always be on in order to play any game. You can't exit the client. offline mode is something different - internally it still connects steam client to server.

But like i said before. All the benefits you get from the steam client outweigh any of the drawbacks. And it's the most flexible DRM.

But GOG.com has a warm welcome in my heart. I like their approach better.

Status
Not open for further replies.