Ubuntu 10.10 Getting Multitouch ''Sequences''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
but I just cant see any advantage to it beyond it being free.

Try getting a virus, trojan or spyware on it, then tell me if you can see any other advantages.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]So do you claim to know everything? if so then YES please teach me everything[/citation]
Wow, this is what I get for doing you a favour?
It's OK, you keep using Limewire, it's fantastic without any flaws at all.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]but I just cant see any advantage to it beyond it being free.[/citation]

What advantages are there to Windows? I can think of a good one: you already use it. That's generally why people use Windows.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]firebee1991[/nom]What is it with Ubuntu and trying to rip off Apple lately? I can think of much better companies to rip off...[/citation]
What I got from the article is that they are not just taking multitouch but rather series of (multi)touches to generate complex commands. What comes to mind to me, for example, is a two step touch series to copy a document and another to paste it. Both are normally hard to do in a touch environment as context and file menus are too small and not touch optimized. I'm really looking forward to this.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Wow, this is what I get for doing you a favour?
It's OK, you keep using Limewire, it's fantastic without any flaws at all.

What favour? utorrent doesn't even have the same functionality as limewire, and then on top of that you insult a person for asking a question.

Some favour

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post, but I meant ripping off aesthetically, not functionally. Ubuntu 10.04 looks more like OSX than other Linux distros, and seriously, UTouch?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]guzz46[/nom]I have transmission but can you use it to search for songs like you do in limewire?[/citation]
The easiest way to find a torrent for something is the type what you want into google followed by the word 'torrent'.

G

"I also downloaded Chrome, ran it. Turned off the computer. Came back the next day, and Chrome was gone, but the installer was still there and acting like it was installed, there was just no way to open it. I guess it could have been done in a command line, but i dont know." -stm1185

This comment shows off how mainstream Windows is. People just take it naturally that to install anything it's best to go open your browser, look for some download on the internet and install what you've downloaded. Somebody who's never used a computer in their life will find the Software Center far easier to use, but the procedure is just ingrained in people at this point.

The SC (Software Center) might not answer all of your questions as far as apps go and some things you will have to download. If you have to download something you're probably doing something specific or want something specific enough that you should know what you're doing. So for example VMPlayer won't be there - although VBox will be - but these things are rare. Obviously if you want to install some Windows program under wine you're probably going to have to google for a complicated procedure, but you have to be thankful to maybe be able to run something that is never supposed to work in the first place.

"Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post, but I meant ripping off aesthetically, not functionally. Ubuntu 10.04 looks more like OSX than other Linux distros, and seriously, UTouch?" -firebee1991

You can't blame them really, if they're gonna rip something off, nothing better than OSX. If you want to try something different, try the gnome-shell. I tried some early alphas and it looked interesting but also quite a bit of an adjustment for me, but it was buggy at that point too. I'll be migrating to gnome-shell with 10.10.

"Its 2010, and if I have to go to a command line, then the OS is garbage." -stm1185

For the most part it's personal preference. I can do what I'm trying to do faster using CLI. You don't have to use aptitude from the command line, use the SC, but for me it's easier to find something I'm trying to find with apt-cache search | grep than browse the SC. In windows you hardly ever have options like this. And it's not just aptitude, there's a lot of things. I don't even know the procedure for looking for some text line in some code files under a specific folder in windows. You open up the windows search window and good luck trying to figure out what to put where. I'm sure they can do it, this is not a hard thing to do, but in an effort to not confuse their user base they try to hide advanced options and in the end things become convoluted. I always just end up installing cygwin on every windows machine because I feel far more comfortable in a shell.

Personally I migrated all my machines to Ubuntu except one which I use for games. It's about time companies started to support GNU operating system and making native clients though.

Status
Not open for further replies.