Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 1 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Narwhals, swimming in the ocean... Seriously though, Unity seems like a good idea. I hope it works better than it does in the netbook edition I have. It always seems to lag but I can see the little jump menus being useful and familiar to Windows 7 users.

marciocattini

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Very nice vid! Would be cool if you could tell us a little bit about kubuntu as well and if you had any hassles during the installation!

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I tried Unity on a netbook. The UI was fast, but unfortunately buggy. So, I end up using Kubuntu 10.10.

ATI still seems to have a problem keeping drivers easy to install and use. It has been this way for half a decade now. I installed them using the repository, using ATI binary, but none of them worked. In the end I left the repository one even though it did not enable OpenGL. I'll fight with it another day.

Nvidia on the other hand worked right away. I have a netbook with ION graphics, and the propietary Nvidia driver install without much drama. I just followed the instruction and voila. The rest of the time I use to watch CUDA demos.

So why buy ATI you ask. Well, not many times in my live have I seen a NO OS netbook being on the market. Asus 1215T on newegg (plug not intended).

Alas, freedom from the MS tax !

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
So why buy ATI you ask. Well, not many times in my live have I seen a NO OS netbook being on the market. Asus 1215T on newegg (plug not intended).

I have been using the open source ATI drivers on my laptop for a long time now (with a HD3200) and they work great, even running compiz.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Thanks to my graphics card drivers being in the AMD/ATI legacy bin (the community opensource drivers can't accelerate video playback, I can no longer get updates to newer kernals, FGLRX how I miss you.Currently there is NO support for 2.6.29 or newer kernels. :`(

G

kronos_cornelius: 2003 called, they want their drivers back. Please update yourself on the current state of both drivers before spewing out-dated drivel for public consumption. Circa 2010, it's now cool to praise the AMD drivers, and bash the Nvidia drivers. The tables have turned...

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Unfortunately I'm one of those stupid people who don't like changes. I'm sure to give it a try. But I might aswell go with another desktop manager in the end.

That's great and all that, but I'm still waiting for the damned wireless card to be supported on machines I install Ubuntu on. Seriously, out of 4 machines I tried the drivers never work for the wireless card.

Status
Not open for further replies.