Ubuntu 11.10 Will Feature ARM Support, Ships Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I use Ubuntu 10.04 only for my aging Turion X2 laptop merely because it gives me peace of mind in terms of security, particularly since laptops are meant to go places, connect to public networks, and be exposed to all sorts of USB thumb drives. 10.10 doesn't offer enough incentive for me to switch, and 11.04 doesn't seem to display correctly on the machine. That said, I'm not sure 11.10 will make things easier. I'm probably gonna try it but only after a few months; after they've ironed out some bugs.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hopefully the unity desktop will work properly on release... I still shudder thinking of the glitches I had in unity, particularly before switching from 3d to 2d...

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I'll think twice before upgrading from 10.10 on my netbook or 11.04 on my desktop - both run just fine. However...

I know none of you are building your cloud on ARM architecture yet

F*** off with your "cloud". I'm not building any "clouds"... I hate it when Canonical jumps on the hype train and starts spreading the same BS like everyone else.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jetjl[/nom]I can barely run Unity on my Turion x2 laptop. Even tried Unity 2d still doesn't want to run well.[/citation]

My computer could run it fine, I just didn't like it.

I installed Ubuntu on my computer to test it out, see what it was all about (dual booted) and got right into learning the considerably different UI setup.

Basically had it ironed out and then installed the update (along with proper drivers for my GFX card) and was immediately taken aback. Didn't have a clue how to customize the little launch bar (its placement or its icons) so I just switched back as soon as I figured out how.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jetjl[/nom]I can barely run Unity on my Turion x2 laptop. Even tried Unity 2d still doesn't want to run well.[/citation]
Then you most likely have an hardware problem. I have an old Pentium M 1.6GHz with the awful integrated extreme graphics 2, no dedicated GPU, and it runs really well, way faster than XP.

G

Ubuntu is a great distro, but unfortunately, the Linux Kernel 3.0 it ships with has a whole slew of serious regressions. If 11.10 doesn't work out for any of you, you probably ought to stick with either 11.04, or even 10.04.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Long Live Open Source, Long Live Ubuntu[/citation]
I'm really not sure that a hot hard drive is a bad thing.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/02/8917.ars
"The researchers also found that drive failures did not increase with high temperatures or CPU utilization. In fact, they say, lower average temperatures actually correlate more strongly with failure. Only at 'very high temperatures' does this change."
The fact that it is Wubi actually could be part of it, but it seems unlikely that Ubuntu would heat up a drive any more than another OS, but I'm no expert.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]It appears that Ubuntu (any recent version) heats up my hard drive. Have you noticed this issue? Or maybe it is because I use it as a Wubi installation.[/citation]

Wow, I quoted the wrong person. My bad.

I'm really not sure that a hot hard drive is a bad thing.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/02/8917.ars
"The researchers also found that drive failures did not increase with high temperatures or CPU utilization. In fact, they say, lower average temperatures actually correlate more strongly with failure. Only at 'very high temperatures' does this change."
The fact that it is Wubi actually could be part of it, but it seems unlikely that Ubuntu would heat up a drive any more than another OS, but I'm no expert.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Cloud computing isn't new. It's been around since the 80's (possibly the 70's). IBM is the king at cloud computing... trust them, it can't be done with the same expectations that people have of their computers today.

And to the comment above me, there is NO air for tempature to matter in a hard drive. They are VACUUM sealed so even if it gets hot or cold, the platters and heads could care less

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Antilycus[/nom]Cloud computing isn't new. It's been around since the 80's (possibly the 70's). IBM is the king at cloud computing... trust them, it can't be done with the same expectations that people have of their computers today.And to the comment above me, there is NO air for tempature to matter in a hard drive. They are VACUUM sealed so even if it gets hot or cold, the platters and heads could care less[/citation]

Air is not needed for temperature. Surely you realize this? Heat can transfer via conduction, so even if your hard drive is vacuum sealed, heat can transfer very effectively through the metal casing and into the metal interior. Air is a very inefficient way of heating things up by comparison to metal. If that heat causes expansion, the platters and heads can care very much.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Just thought I'd point it out, but they don't vacuum seal Hard drives, they are built in clean-rooms. Main difference is no dust, not no air. someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one though.

cldebuhr

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Actually, not only are hard drives not vacuum-sealed, they are incapable of operating in a vacuum. The air around the platters in integral to the mechanism that allows the heads to fly just above the platters without touching them. If you put an HD in a vacuum chamber and start reducing the pressure, at some point the heads will no longer have enough air to maintain their proper flying height, resulting in a head crash, which is instantly and catastrophically fatal to the drive.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
That's what I thought.. but I didn't have the actual knowledge to point that out.
[citation][nom]cldebuhr[/nom]Actually, not only are hard drives not vacuum-sealed, they are incapable of operating in a vacuum. The air around the platters in integral to the mechanism that allows the heads to fly just above the platters without touching them. If you put an HD in a vacuum chamber and start reducing the pressure, at some point the heads will no longer have enough air to maintain their proper flying height, resulting in a head crash, which is instantly and catastrophically fatal to the drive.[/citation]

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
having hard time to install flash on 10.04 x64. Can't thinking of upgrading to anything else as the packages I'm using now are very version picky.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]having hard time to install flash on 10.04 x64. Can't thinking of upgrading to anything else as the packages I'm using now are very version picky.[/citation]
Wait... so you're complaining about not being able to effectively use flash because you're using 10.04, but then you're talking about how you won't upgrade because certain packages are very version picky. This makes no sense. Either complain about flash and be glad you're moving up, or complain about the version numbers and say you can't... I don't understand your comment's intent. haha, but if your computer has a decent amount of RAM you could do a fresh 11.10 install and then run a 10.04 virtual machine for those certain packages quite easily.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]coder543[/nom]Wait... so you're complaining about not being able to effectively use flash because you're using 10.04, but then you're talking about how you won't upgrade because certain packages are very version picky. This makes no sense. Either complain about flash and be glad you're moving up, or complain about the version numbers and say you can't... I don't understand your comment's intent. haha, but if your computer has a decent amount of RAM you could do a fresh 11.10 install and then run a 10.04 virtual machine for those certain packages quite easily.[/citation]

The software I need to run only on 10.04 so I was end up having downgraded from 11.xx version. And on this system flash is crucial to have. I simply can't have one instance entirely for flash and another for those software. That will be ridiculous.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
That was not the suggestion. I was stating that your host operating system should be 11.10 and that 10.04 would be in a virtual machine, not 2 instances and a host. But, you should download the full Google Chrome.. it should have a flash player built into it, so hopefully that would work. (Chromium is not the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.