Ubuntu 13.04 To Allow Purchases From the Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]carlo vincente[/nom]Ubuntu is going down[/citation]
...that's because Ubuntu is the only linux distro familiar enough to be used by some retailers as an alternative to Windows?
Or maybe because it's the most popular distro? Oh, wait, can it be because it wants to open up to money-making markets with this move, henceforth increasing it's appeal to various builders/developers alike?
No, really, please do tell how you came up with your conclusion.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well house I assume that his statement is based on appeal vs need. It would be like Toyota announcing they will be adding a 720 hp racing engine to their Camry line of cars. It does not fit it's need or it's place. How many Ubuntu boxes revolve around it's use for entertainment? It's an odd feature that probably won't have many inroads to mainstream.

I think that he is completely wrong in his assessment though. This isn't going to be the feature that makes it a worldwide success (more so than it already is) but it's also not the feature that ruins Ubuntu. It's just an odd thing to focus on is all... Instead canonical should focus on a way of reinvent gaming on the PC.

G

I've been a tireless Ubuntu advocate since 8.04. Now it's becoming more commercial than Window or OSX, what other OS has advertisements and tracking baked right into the desktop?

I've defended them a lot over the years, because Ubuntu "just works" a lot better than Fedora, OpenSuse, Debian, etc... but now I'm going to really spend some time evaluating alternatives.

misterawsome

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Well house I assume that his statement is based on appeal vs need. It would be like Toyota announcing they will be adding a 720 hp racing engine to their Camry line of cars. It does not fit it's need or it's place. How many Ubuntu boxes revolve around it's use for entertainment? It's an odd feature that probably won't have many inroads to mainstream. I think that he is completely wrong in his assessment though. This isn't going to be the feature that makes it a worldwide success (more so than it already is) but it's also not the feature that ruins Ubuntu. It's just an odd thing to focus on is all... Instead canonical should focus on a way of reinvent gaming on the PC.[/citation]
i would buy a camry with a 720hp engine especially if it costs the same :p

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I don't think it's that odd of a feature to add to Ubuntu. I used Ubuntu for entertainment frequently. I watch movies, listen to music, play board games, stream videos, etc etc on it alot. I watch movies on Ubuntu much more than Windows. The movie player is smoother and generally better than Windows Media Player.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The lack of a standard payment system for proprietary apps used to be the problem. Now there is too many: Dash, Software Center, Desura/Desurium, and Steam. Oh well. :D

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Please can someone write an automated script that uninstals all of the ad/ web result crap, currently it takes a few commands and I want something where I can just double click and have that crap removed.

Or if possible, have someone else release ubuntu builds with the ad crap removed.

the results are crap, the unity UI sucks as it makes it hard to deal with multiple windows of the same application, eg multiple office documents or multiple browser windows.

It is annoying getting a new version of ubuntu and having to run more and more commands to make the OS work properly. (eg installing gnome, getting rid of the unity crap, fixing the search and a few other minor fixes

I don't want crap where a mistaken click can cost you money (almost as bad as tmobile and verizon where with the old bar and flip phones, there was a button that automatically launched browser, making it so that once you hit the button, it would automatically cost you like $1+ since they build per MB and a single byte is all it takes.

G

Since they changed the UI on Ubuntu, it has become the lesser distro.
Linux Mint has taken over as No1.

raa raa for linux mint.. after Ubuntu stuffed there GUI I switched with 80% of everybody else.

nuff said

lightsol

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Cant you just change the affiliate ID to a secondary account of your own and well.. make money for yourself from any of your own purchases?

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Used Ubuntu on my netbook until the Unity debacle. After that, i swapped distros and never looked back.

Looking at where Ubuntu is now, i think i made the right decision.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
And by the way, how it is this not news on toms? www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Richard Stallman calling Ubuntu spyware because by default local search sends the searching terms to canonical and displays ads from amazon.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]...that's because Ubuntu is the only linux distro familiar enough to be used by some retailers as an alternative to Windows? Or maybe because it's the most popular distro? Oh, wait, can it be because it wants to open up to money-making markets with this move, henceforth increasing it's appeal to various builders/developers alike?No, really, please do tell how you came up with your conclusion.[/citation]

most popular distro? i thought linux mint managed to become the most popular/used a bit ago unless it went back

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]heero yuy[/nom]most popular distro? i thought linux mint managed to become the most popular/used a bit ago unless it went back[/citation]
Linux Mint has nowhere near the userbase of Ubuntu.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
alot of people say they switched from Ubuntu to Linux mint or Kubuntu.
but without ubuntu neither of those distros would exist

ubuntu is trying to find a revenue stream to continue to offer a good alternative to windows
and i support this... compared to all the other main OSes out there, they are up front about this and allow u to disable it... u dont see windows, mac, android offering that

[citation][nom]kellybean[/nom]Looks like I may have to go back to the mothership, Debain, Ubuntu is based off Debain.[/citation]
"Debian". :) Think "Deb" + "Ian". I've been poking around Fedora and it seems pretty nice, too. I don't feel particularly inclined to use any of the 'Buntus at the moment.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]Ubuntu was cool before Unity, after that I totally lost interest. (unless I get Linux tablet....)[/citation]

Yes, Unity sucks, but it takes less than 5 minutes to install Gnome Classic UI and establish it as the default. Then Ubuntu is cool again ;)

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
BTW Mint and Kubuntu are just variants of Ubuntu.... If you are running one of these, you are essentially running Ubuntu (just not the main distro).

Status
Not open for further replies.