Question Ubuntu 20.04LTS w/ AMD 590 GPU - Machine Crashes During Graphically Intense Operations

PrettyDumbITGuy

Prominent
Oct 16, 2020
Hey Guys,

Like the title suggests I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with a XFX Radeon 590. I am using the built in open source drivers for the AMD gpu, i have the most recent mesa package installed, I have wine installed, etc. Basically I followed this guide here from Chris Titus Tech: https://christitus.com/ultimate-linux-gaming-guide/

Every time I try to benchmark my system (Unigine Heaven/Unigine Valley) or run a game via Proton through Steam play the screen goes black after about 5-10 minutes and the machine more or less crashes. I have to completely power cycle the machine. At first I thought that maybe the GPU was faulty, but when I re-imaged the machine with Windows 10 everything worked just fine. Benchmarking (same programs) and games worked perfectly. I'm at a bit of a loss so I figured I would ask the community. It's almost as if the Ubuntu image is detecting my GPU but still using my integrated graphics/CPU to render graphics until it crashes. I am not sure though.

Machine Specs:
i5-7600K 4.2ghz
MSI B150 GAMING M3 Motherboard
16gb DDR5 Memory
XFX Radeon R9 590 Fatboy

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

DSzymborski

Titan
EVGA 750W Gold

Shoot, a junky PSU is usually a key suspect here, but that doesn't appear to be the case (though even a theoretically good PSU can fail).

What are your temperatures like?

As for custom drivers, whether there could be a power issue being caused there is out of my wheelhouse; I never tinker with GPU BIOS unless I'm troubleshooting a card-in-hand.

PrettyDumbITGuy

Prominent
Oct 16, 2020
Shoot, a junky PSU is usually a key suspect here, but that doesn't appear to be the case (though even a theoretically good PSU can fail).

What are your temperatures like?

As for custom drivers, whether there could be a power issue being caused there is out of my wheelhouse; I never tinker with GPU BIOS unless I'm troubleshooting a card-in-hand.

From what I can tell temps seem to be fine during benchmark testing.