[SOLVED] Ubuntu freezes during installation process and then eventually my system restarts

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Hi there,

I have Windows 10 already installed on my SSD drive and I have partitioned 50 GB of space to install Ubuntu.

I used Rufus to put the Ubuntu installation files on a USB key. I restart my computer and start the Ubuntu installation process via the boot manager in UEFI BIOS. When Ubuntu actually loads up I'm presented with two options: 1. Try Ubuntu without installing or 2. Install Ubuntu.

Regardless of which option I choose, within 8 to 10 secs my mouse and keyboard slowly stop working and then Ubuntu freezes and my computer restarts. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and I've tried plugging both keyboard and mouse and putting them into different USB slots but to no avail. I've tried plugging my USB key that has the installation files into different USB ports but this doesn't work either.

My rig is as follows:
Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming Motherboard
Samsung 1TB SSD
AMD RX5700XT Graphics card
Fractal Design Define R6 PC Case

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Kind regards

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020
Hi there,

I have Windows 10 already installed on my SSD drive and I have partitioned 50 GB of space to install Ubuntu.

I used Rufus to put the Ubuntu installation files on a USB key. I restart my computer and start the Ubuntu installation process via the boot manager in UEFI BIOS. When Ubuntu actually loads up I'm presented with two options: 1. Try Ubuntu without installing or 2. Install Ubuntu.

Regardless of which option I choose, within 8 to 10 secs my mouse and keyboard slowly stop working and then Ubuntu freezes and my computer restarts. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and I've tried plugging both keyboard and mouse and putting them into different USB slots but to no avail. I've tried plugging my USB key that has the installation files into different USB ports but this doesn't work either.

My rig is as follows:
Ryzen 7 3700x
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming Motherboard
Samsung 1TB SSD
AMD RX5700XT Graphics card
Fractal Design Define R6 PC Case

Any helpful advice would be appreciated!

Kind regards

What version of Ubuntu do you have? Ubuntu, typically, ships with an older kernel. AMD drivers are open source and are included with the kernel. Their is a chance that the kernel you are using doesn't have the necessary drivers for the RX 5700XT card. Try updating it to a newer kernel or use a more up to date distribution such as Manjaro. Check to see if the issue has been resolved.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
What version of Ubuntu do you have? Ubuntu, typically, ships with an older kernel. AMD drivers are open source and are included with the kernel. Their is a chance that the kernel you are using doesn't have the necessary drivers for the RX 5700XT card. Try updating it to a newer kernel or use a more up to date distribution such as Manjaro. Check to see if the issue has been resolved.
The version of Ubuntu that I have put on to my USB key is version 20.04 LTS amd64. Apologies for my ignorance but when you say the "kernel that you are using doesn't have the necessary drivers" are you referring to the Microsoft kernel that resides within my copy Windows 10? I assume that the recent version of Ubuntu would have a Linux based kernel?

Which kernel do you advise me to update? The Microsoft one?

I'm looking into Manjaro at the moment. Is this Linux distribution basically the same as Ubuntu? In other words, I can run the same programs that I can in Ubuntu as I can with Manjaro? There's a particular program I want to use in a Linux operating system which is the reason for me downloading a Linux distribution.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
The version of Ubuntu that I have put on to my USB key is version 20.04 LTS amd64. Apologies for my ignorance but when you say the "kernel that you are using doesn't have the necessary drivers" are you referring to the Microsoft kernel that resides within my copy Windows 10? I assume that the recent version of Ubuntu would have a Linux based kernel?

Which kernel do you advise me to update? The Microsoft one?

I'm looking into Manjaro at the moment. Is this Linux distribution basically the same as Ubuntu? In other words, I can run the same programs that I can in Ubuntu as I can with Manjaro? There's a particular program I want to use in a Linux operating system which is the reason for me downloading a Linux distribution.
Just an addition to my last post: I downloaded Manjaro on to a USB key via Rufus and then selected the key from the boot manager in BIOS. The installation wizard of Manjaro ran for a few seconds before freezing and then my PC restarted itself. It seems both Ubuntu and Manjaro can run their install wizards for a few seconds before they completely freeze and my computer restarts.

Jun 3, 2020
Just an addition to my last post: I downloaded Manjaro on to a USB key via Rufus and then selected the key from the boot manager in BIOS. The installation wizard of Manjaro ran for a few seconds before freezing and then my PC restarted itself. It seems both Ubuntu and Manjaro can run their install wizards for a few seconds before they completely freeze and my computer restarts.
By chance, have you disable secure boot on your system?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
I currently have Ubuntu on an SSD and its working perfectly. I doubt that is the issue.
I tried installing Manjaro using Rufus and the same thing happened again. After 8 to 10 seconds of being in the Manjaro installation wizard my computer freezes up and shuts itself down. Could the issue be my USB key? I used the same key to put Windows Media Creation tool on it to install Windows 10 on my SSD drive and it worked fine.

Jun 3, 2020
I tried installing Manjaro using Rufus and the same thing happened again. After 8 to 10 seconds of being in the Manjaro installation wizard my computer freezes up and shuts itself down. Could the issue be my USB key? I used the same key to put Windows Media Creation tool on it to install Windows 10 on my SSD drive and it worked fine.
Considering Ubuntu and Manjaro uses to different graphical installers, Ubiquity and Calamares respectively. I doubt the issue is with the distribution. Have you tried disabling secure boot as stated before though Ubuntu should run even when its enabled. Try using another flashdrive as well just to see if that might have been the problem.

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019
Considering Ubuntu and Manjaro uses to different graphical installers, Ubiquity and Calamares respectively. I doubt the issue is with the distribution. Have you tried disabling secure boot as stated before though Ubuntu should run even when its enabled. Try using another flashdrive as well just to see if that might have been the problem.
I'll try it now. Can I ask why disabling Secure Boot could help my issue?

realghostbuster

Reputable
Jan 18, 2019

I went into BIOS just now and I tried to disable "Secure Boot" but it did not give me the option to either enable or disable it. I recorded a video on my phone of the options I'm presented with when clicking on Secure Boot in BIOS here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9WX4_f3PM