[SOLVED] Ubuntu live USB won't work

Koen_01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
I have used Rufus to create a live USB of the latest LTS version of ubuntu. However, I can't install Ubuntu on my laptop because every time I have tried to boot the USB installer, my laptop displays the following:

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: Not Found

Other versions of linux will boot and install just fine. I have tried burning the ISO file to a disc instead, and also tried using the previous LTS version of Ubuntu, and I just get the same thing every time. I have also enabled legacy support in my UEFI firmware settings. What am I doing wrong? Can somebody help me?

My laptop is a HP Home Notebook, model number: 15-BA079SA

Thanks.

Solution
I figured the error out for myself a few weeks ago. I navigated to [USB device]\EFI\BOOT then duplicated the grubx64.efi file and renamed it to mmx64.efi
Booted the USB and it worked fine after.

TheDarkPleco

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
I would suggest trying Win32DiskImager. Rufus has its merits, but there have been machines where only Win32DiskImager did it right for some reason. Just remember when trying to add the file to write in the program to select the all files option in the dropdown so that it doesn't just look for IMG files. It can do ISOs.

Koen_01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
I would suggest trying Win32DiskImager. Rufus has its merits, but there have been machines where only Win32DiskImager did it right for some reason. Just remember when trying to add the file to write in the program to select the all files option in the dropdown so that it doesn't just look for IMG files. It can do ISOs.
I couldn't get Win32DiskImager to work. I tried a countless amount of times and it was spitting all sorts of errors to me.

I have always used Rufus and it's never let me down.

I have always used Rufus and it's never let me down.
Then maybe there is some other issue to the computer you use. Unless you have a fundamental understanding of the source code for the program and knows any flaws, there is no way you can know for sure if Rufus isn't part of the problem in this particular case.

First thing to try is to use some other program to write the ISO image to usb.

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
That sounds pretty weird. Is your 20.04 image file called "ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso" and 2,651,616 KB?

I guess I would try a BIOS update next but that's a long shot...

I've used Win32DiskImager to make USB sticks of 20.04 LTS twice and they've worked so far, once on a Lenovo with an AMD A10 and once on a Ryzen 5.

I couldn't get Win32DiskImager to work making a USB stick of the Raspberry Pi/ARM version of 20.04 server, but the Raspberry Pi imager worked fine.

Koen_01

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
I figured the error out for myself a few weeks ago. I navigated to [USB device]\EFI\BOOT then duplicated the grubx64.efi file and renamed it to mmx64.efi
Booted the USB and it worked fine after.

Solution