Question Ubuntu - No Wi-Fi connection

D

Deleted member 2981067

Hello,

I have installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and it was successful. However, I ran into the issue where I don't have the option to connect to Wi-Fi. During the installation process, I was able to connect to my Wi-Fi but after the install, there is no more Wi-Fi connection nor is my Wi-Fi network card being registered. The only option that shows is Ethernet. I checked the BIOS, and everything is enabled. Also, there is no Linux Wi-Fi driver for this motherboard available.

I can't seem to fix this issue, and I am wondering if anyone is able to help me.

Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk Wi-Fi
Ram: Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan 32GB
SSD/HDD: WD Black SN770
PSU: MSI A1000G

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
D

Deleted member 2981067

This person got their wifi to finally work by uninstalling the latest version of the 5.15 kernel (though their system was using the 6.5 kernel, so who knows what's happening): https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=414607

Maybe give that a shot?
Thank you for your feedback. I just reinstalled it for the 3rd time and it seems to be working. I noticed if I boot it from time to time, as I switch between Windows and Ubuntu, the Wi-Fi will work on and off. I believe it could be related to my hardware or Ubuntu's end. For the time being, I got it working but we'll see what happens in the near future.

Reactions: slightnitpick

rustigsmed

Distinguished
Thank you for your feedback. I just reinstalled it for the 3rd time and it seems to be working. I noticed if I boot it from time to time, as I switch between Windows and Ubuntu, the Wi-Fi will work on and off. I believe it could be related to my hardware or Ubuntu's end. For the time being, I got it working but we'll see what happens in the near future.

hi steve,
I see in your recent post you mention you are dual booting with windows - see this note from https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

About dual-boot with Windows and "fast-boot" enabled

If you have a dual-boot machine with a recent version of Windows and start seeing problems during initialization of the WiFi device when booting Linux, the problem could be due to the “fast startup” feature on Windows.
With this feature enabled, Windows don't really shut down the entire system, but leaves things partially running so you can start the machine faster again. Try to disable this option, on Windows 10 it should be in “Control Panel→Hardware and Sound→Power Options→System Settings”. Select “Chooose what the power buttons do” to access the System Settings from the Power Options. Then disable the “Fast Startup” option in “Shutdown Settings”. This will cause Windows to fully shutdown and may solve the issue.

TRENDING THREADS