[SOLVED] Ubuntu Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+ running slow ?

espr3ss0

Prominent
Aug 1, 2019
Not sure where to post this because I couldn't find a SapphireTech Forum and AskUbuntu hasn't been very helpful.

After installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I tried installing the AMDGPU-Pro drivers as directed (I included Pal / Legacy & Rocm) the GPU went very silent and the desktop runs smoothly. There was only 1 snag, after the install in the terminal said ...
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
amdgpu-hwe : Depends: amdgpu-lib-hwe (= 19.20-812932) but it is not going to be installed
amdgpu-pro-hwe : Depends: libgl1-amdgpu-pro-ext-hwe (= 19.20-812932) but it is not going to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I'm assuming after looking in the Synaptic Manager it's to do with i386 architecture, as I'm using 64 not 32 I'm assuming I should just skip it ?

The next step I installed Krita and found page rotation and zoom are very laggy so disabled OpenCL acceleration and works a little better. Then thought I should try Blender with a render which took the CPU 41s and GPU 1:10, I know people have noted this is common but ... (lm-sensors / sensors-detect) the GPU's temp at idle roughly 40c only went up to 51c and the watts (i think) idle 3w only showed as 150w.

I guess apart from not knowing if the card is installed properly, does it also need to be overclocked ?

Solution
Not sure where to post this because I couldn't find a SapphireTech Forum and AskUbuntu hasn't been very helpful.

After installing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS I tried installing the AMDGPU-Pro drivers as directed (I included Pal / Legacy & Rocm) the GPU went very silent and the desktop runs smoothly. There was only 1 snag, after the install in the terminal said ...
amdgpu-hwe : Depends: amdgpu-lib-hwe (= 19.20-812932) but it is not going to be installed
amdgpu-pro-hwe : Depends: libgl1-amdgpu-pro-ext-hwe (= 19.20-812932) but it is not going to be installed

I'm assuming after looking in the...

I'm assuming after looking in the Synaptic Manager it's to do with i386 architecture, as I'm using 64 not 32 I'm assuming I should just skip it ?

The next step I installed Krita and found page rotation and zoom are very laggy so disabled OpenCL acceleration and works a little better. Then thought I should try Blender with a render which took the CPU 41s and GPU 1:10, I know people have noted this is common but ... (lm-sensors / sensors-detect) the GPU's temp at idle roughly 40c only went up to 51c and the watts (i think) idle 3w only showed as 150w.

I guess apart from not knowing if the card is installed properly, does it also need to be overclocked ?
OpenCL support is currently VERY spotty on Linux - also, the OpenCL libs found on Ubuntu could be a bit too old.
While there is the possibility to manually control clock speed for AMD card, it's still very rough and all done from command line. You would actually have much better luck finding support on the Phoronix foruls than at Tom's (who get almost all their Linux info from Phoronix anyway...)

Solution