Ubuntu server beside practices questions

Chiisu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.04 (desktop version) on an older PC. The reason I downloaded desktop version instead of the server version is I do not have a working CD/DVD drive in the older PC, and I do not want to tackle a USB install of Ubuntu server. Anyway here follows question I need answered. Also keep in mind I'm going to install Ubuntu Server later on as I rather enjoy the command line type interface.

Questions:
When downloading and installing Apache2 should I keep the main directory as '/var/www/' or should I change it to '/home/<user name>/www/'?
Note:
The reason I ask is because I have so much trouble getting vsftp to work in root folders. This being said leads me to my next question. Also many say do not give root access to ftp, and I can understand why.

When file transferring to my Ubuntu server machine from my Development/Design machine what is the best way to ftp? Is there a better alt. to vsftp or is that the best?
Note:
I like to use Dreamweaver CC and Filezilla to accomplish all my FTP, and none of my work from home is connected to the interwebs. Basically everything is LAN nothing is being ported to 80.

(If you feel like you need to provide more information because the scope of my questions are limited please feel free to enlighten me.)

IMPORTANT:
I'm a very visual learning so please give as much detail as possible when answering the question.
For Example:
saying type 'sudo apt-get install someapp' 'sudo apt-get install someotherapp'.

The detail I would need is each command would be executed separately. As opposed to typing everything you said on one line.

So instead say:
first type 'sudo apt-get install someapp' (without ' ')now press enter
you will be prompted to press 'Y/N' press 'Y'
now that we are installed 'someapp' lets install 'someotherapp'
by typing 'sudo apt-get install someotherapp' (without ' ')now press enter

I'm sure more detail than even this can be given. Of coarse this is just an example.

Thanks in advanced for all answers that are provided.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
You could place it in /home/$USER, but I would still recommend letting it be in /var/www/
If you are configuring your server, I would recommend SU to root (If you can ofcs)

You could use the scp command on ubuntu. example sudo scp root@127.0.0.1:/$PATH/$TO/$COLLECT/$FILE /$PATH/$WHERE/$TO/$PLACE/$FILE
If you want to place it in the direction you stand simple: sudo scp root@127.0.0.1:/$PATH/$TO/$FILE .

NOTE: You could always use another user than root.
You would need to enter the password after using the SCP command for the user you are trying to reach.

@Chiisu - for development work inside LAN I would use Samba on the server, and simple Windows networking on the client. This way you can do all of your work on the mapped network drive.

As for "visual learninig" - no one has the time to find appropriate environment, and execute commands for you so he/she can document all of the steps, and in most cases these instructions will fail if that person already these steps executed. Part of learning is exploring, not just following a recipe.

Chiisu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012

Sorry I didn't mean to map out a step by step instruction. I was saying just be clear if you are going to include steps for me. I have a reading comprehension disability it is hard for me to understand the steps sometimes. Thanks for the quick replies Alabalcho and vmN.