[SOLVED] Ubuntu software raid 5 array

Mar 26, 2022
I have a set of HDDs that were from a NAS that had a failure (motherboard damaged). I installed the drives in a computer using Ubuntu Linux 22.04. I could see the drives after some reassembly of the array, then I made a newbie mistake during the configuration process. I was thinking I would try and use some kind of imaging software and make an image of each drive because the array now shows it is blank. Then put the image back on the drives and try to reassemble the drive image again. Could anyone please give any advise for this.

Thank you in advance and please feel free to message if more information is needed.

Solution
ReClaime will detect the RAID parameters but it will only recover your data if you purchase the software.

DMDE will autodetect your RAID parameters and assemble a virtual RAID. You can then clone the virtual RAID to another destination. The free version of DMDE will recover up to 4000 files of any size from any one folder per run.

https://dmde.com/
I have a set of HDDs that were from a NAS that had a failure (motherboard damaged). I installed the drives in a computer using Ubuntu Linux 22.04. I could see the drives after some reassembly of the array, then I made a newbie mistake during the configuration process. I was thinking I would try and use some kind of imaging software and make an image of each drive because the array now shows it is blank. Then put the image back on the drives and try to reassemble the drive image again. Could anyone please give any advise for this.

Thank you in advance and please feel free to message if more information is needed.
Are you trying to recover data from the failed array by installing the drives in a different machine? If so, I'm gonna say good luck!

Mar 26, 2022
Are you trying to recover data from the failed array by installing the drives in a different machine? If so, I'm gonna say good luck!
I had the drives able to be copied from and was in the process of copping from them when I accidently typed a incorrect command at the terminal window which caused the reboot. After the reboot I couldn't see the drives and screwed up more. Then the array was unreadable. There really isn't anything mission critical just stuff that i wish I didn't loose. But yes trying to recover the array.

Mar 26, 2022
If there is something like Clonezilla that will be able to read each drive seperatly so that I could have 3 seperate images and then re-image seperate drives is what I think I need but can not find something that might work

I had the drives able to be copied from and was in the process of copping from them when I accidently typed a incorrect command at the terminal window which caused the reboot. After the reboot I couldn't see the drives and screwed up more. Then the array was unreadable. There really isn't anything mission critical just stuff that i wish I didn't loose. But yes trying to recover the array.
I am not very knowledgeable with this. @USAFRet will know better than I.

USAFRet

Titan
The problem here is the non non-existent RAID controller from the dead NAS.

Just putting the drives, or clones, in a whole different system isn't going to work to read the array.

If this were a Windows environment, I might suggest ReClaime.
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/?s=rd

But since you've done all that other weirdness, I wouldn't hold out much hope for that either.

And this is specifically what proactive backups are for. Data protection before the BadThing happens.

Mar 26, 2022
The
The problem here is the non non-existent RAID controller from the dead NAS.

Just putting the drives, or clones, in a whole different system isn't going to work to read the array.

If this were a Windows environment, I might suggest ReClaime.
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/?s=rd

But since you've done all that other weirdness, I wouldn't hold out much hope for that either.

And this is specifically what proactive backups are for. Data protection before the BadThing happens.
The old NAS was software raid (it was a Q Nap NAS) it used some form of Linux and software raid 5 array, and yes guess as education is expensive so I am now paying the price to get educated lol. But I will try it.

Mar 26, 2022
ReClaime will detect the RAID parameters but it will only recover your data if you purchase the software.

DMDE will autodetect your RAID parameters and assemble a virtual RAID. You can then clone the virtual RAID to another destination. The free version of DMDE will recover up to 4000 files of any size from any one folder per run.

https://dmde.com/
Thank you for this I am going to try it now.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I would also strongly urge you to consider your solution and whether RAID is really the best solution for your needs. It's a data availability solution far more than a data protection solution, after all, and RAID problems can be absolute nightmares to deal with. Generally, the vast majority of people who use a RAID would do better and be happier in the long run with a different solution.