Ubuntu to Launch on Galaxy Nexus in February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
I don't know, as far as freely available and open-source mobile operating systems go, Android is pretty good and stable. Do we really need a Linux-based mobile OS too? I mean, unless Ubuntu brings something really neat to the table, I don't really see a point for this other than tech-savvy hipsters getting it just to say they have it.

MatthiasB

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Abion47[/nom]I don't know, as far as freely available and open-source mobile operating systems go, Android is pretty good and stable. Do we really need a Linux-based mobile OS too? [/citation]
Android is also based on Linux -_- And yes, Android is free, but far from open source, it is developed by Google, not by a community that develops the code

jreed38

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]MatthiasB[/nom]Android is also based on Linux -_- And yes, Android is free, but far from open source, it is developed by Google, not by a community that develops the code[/citation]

And Ubuntu is developed by Canonical, not so much by the community. And as for your use of "open source", I don't think it means what you think it means.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]MatthiasB[/nom]Android is also based on Linux -_- And yes, Android is free, but far from open source, it is developed by Google, not by a community that develops the code[/citation]

source.android.com would like a word.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Android most certainly is open source and the source code is available for download. Google does for Android what Canonical does for Ubuntu; they host it, maintain it, and determine release dates and features. Individuals can absolutely write and submit their own code to the project for use in future releases.

Ubuntu for Android is a great step into building one ecosystem to run across all devices. The level of integration you can offer by running one operating system on phones, tablets, and laptop/desktop computers is unmatched by anything else that is out right now. Microsoft had the right idea with Windows 8 but their poor UI design and subsequent low market share is killing them. Dual and quad core phones with 1GB+ of RAM are already as powerful as low-end desktop computers and mid-range laptops from a few years ago. Putting a lightweight and extremely powerful OS like Ubuntu on them opens the doors for what can be done with these devices.

Abion47

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nomUbuntu for Android is a great step into building one ecosystem to run across all devices. The level of integration you can offer by running one operating system on phones, tablets, and laptop/desktop computers is unmatched by anything else that is out right now. Microsoft had the right idea with Windows 8 but their poor UI design and subsequent low market share is killing them. Dual and quad core phones with 1GB+ of RAM are already as powerful as low-end desktop computers and mid-range laptops from a few years ago. Putting a lightweight and extremely powerful OS like Ubuntu on them opens the doors for what can be done with these devices.[/citation]

Fair enough.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
If Android was 100% truly "Open Source" then Then Apple, Microsoft and everyone else would have no reason for patent suits against each other because no one would be violating anyone crap and paying them off to shut their mouths.

A key example is apples suit against :"pinch to touch" really? How else do you use a touch screen?

[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]If Android was 100% truly "Open Source" then Then Apple, Microsoft and everyone else would have no reason for patent suits against each other because no one would be violating anyone crap and paying them off to shut their mouths. A key example is apples suit against :"pinch to touch" really? How else do you use a touch screen?[/citation]

Open source and free to pirate/copy/share/sell are two VERY different things

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Boy is this going to be a flop.[/citation]
1: Ubuntu is free and open source. They don't make money off the OS. The code is mostly community-sourced so whether people buy the phones or not they would at most be losing a marginal amount of money. Therefore it can't really "flop" in the same way something like HP's TouchPad did (interestingly, after HP discontinued the TouchPad it made webOS open source in order to attract the same sort of community following Ubuntu has).

2: They aren't shooting for the same consumer market Android and iOS are gunning for. They are likely looking for the OS to be adopted by businesses running Ubuntu and IT groups that want a unified experience between their work computers and mobile devices. This will never claim anywhere near the sizeable market share that Android and iOS dominate but it will be massively popular with users who want to get more out of their devices and how they interact with their desktop OS.

[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]1: Ubuntu is free and open source. They don't make money off the OS. The code is mostly community-sourced so whether people buy the phones or not they would at most be losing a marginal amount of money. Therefore it can't really "flop" in the same way something like HP's TouchPad did (interestingly, after HP discontinued the TouchPad it made webOS open source in order to attract the same sort of community following Ubuntu has).2: They aren't shooting for the same consumer market Android and iOS are gunning for. They are likely looking for the OS to be adopted by businesses running Ubuntu and IT groups that want a unified experience between their work computers and mobile devices. This will never claim anywhere near the sizeable market share that Android and iOS dominate but it will be massively popular with users who want to get more out of their devices and how they interact with their desktop OS.[/citation]
He is trolling you. Ignore him, that's what everyone else does.
It is true that their app market is limited; however, it has the potential of running Android apps natively, which means access to an established market. Even if Google denies it access to PlayStore, there are alternate markets like SlideMe or Amazon Appstore that fill in nicely. Besides, GApps is probably the most "adoptable" .apk out there, meaning it gets installed every day on devices that were not supposed to get it.
Boy this could be the beginning of a BYOD era for smartphones (you bring the hardware, get the OS from Canonical, install, tweak, enjoy).

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Bricktop[/nom]I thought the "Nexus" branding was related to a device running a vanilla Android OS. Am I wrong?[/citation]

Disregard. I reread the article and now realize that Ubuntu will not be launched on the Galaxy Nexus, but will initially support the Galaxy Nexus. My mistake.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]If Android was 100% truly "Open Source" then Then Apple, Microsoft and everyone else would have no reason for patent suits against each other because no one would be violating anyone crap and paying them off to shut their mouths. A key example is apples suit against :"pinch to touch" really? How else do you use a touch screen?[/citation]

What do patents have to do with whether or not the source code is publicly available? The two are completely unrelated. Even if we were to take a less literal definition of "open source" and assume that you mean "released under a Free (libre) software license" (which is still ambiguous since there are many different Free software licenses), you are comparing software licenses and software patents which are still unrelated.

G

I don't look forward to it. Too many OS around; for that matter I do wish Firefox OS fell flat too even though I am using its browser. Ubuntu Mobile would have a shot if and only if it avoids the "Walled Garden" position RIM placed on Android apps running in PlayBook's compatibility layer that rendered it utterly useless, just because Apple can do "Walled Garden" it doesn't mean anyone can.

Whole thing about patents, now more or less abstraction as a product, is that product, how that product feels to operate and cascading financial effect of that feeling, not the technical details of how the circuit board and antennae is arranged, of course that kind of patents still rightfully floating around since it has a cascading financial effect by proxy.

Dispute comes when there is that "when" question, had Steve Wozniak not cleared with HP when he made Apple I as HP engineer, our parents wouldn't even heard of Apple Computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.