News Udoo Bolt Gear Mini PC Debuts With AMD Ryzen Quad-Core CPU

Jai Molloy

Honorable
Jan 12, 2015
For the model with the Case, PSU, and CPU mentioned in the article, is 482 USD on Kickstarter and comes with 2x 4GB SO-DIMM, AC WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0, HDMI cable, SATA data and power cables. All the versions of this machine include 32GB eMMC soldered on (I think, it isn't mentioned if it is a module or soldered on).

What is not mentioned and this is important... The estimated delivery was December 2018...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-bolt-raising-the-maker-world-to-the-next-leve

Reactions: bit_user

Hardware Geek

BANNED
Nov 11, 2019
"The Udoo Bolt Gear sips power through a 19V DC port, which relies on the 65W charger."
Does this have a built-in battery backup or does it have a power supply and not a charger?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
For $400 I thought it was ok, until I read further that it does not include RAM or storage. Once you add in the cost for those, you scratch your head wondering what is the point.
Oops, yeah. It's not easy to justify, when you can score an ODROID-H2 for $111:

No doubt the Zen1 cores and Vega GPU are much more powerful, but you should really need that additional power to justify the price premium. And speaking of power, the Udoo will certainly burn a lot more of it.

BTW, I remember seeing the price, but then I guess I already forgot about it by the time I posted.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
I've wanted to get one of these as an HTPC, but it didn't launch on time. Instead I have a 7th gen i3-7100U NUC now, which was actually more expensive than the V1605B Bolt is. It's actually another very "interesting" comparison on UserBenchmark... Sigh...

Also, AMD should be more supportive of companies trying to use their embedded APUs and actually update them or merge the V-series with the mobile APU lineup, like Intel has done. There's been a lot of missed opportunities in the NUC space for AMD, even if it's a small market.

Reactions: bit_user