[SOLVED] UEFI mode boots slower than Legacy

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I used command prompt's MBR2GPT command to convert my Windows 10 install to UEFI which was a success (other than the last line which said failed to update reagent.xml. Any ideas on that?), but BIOS times according to Task Manager are 30% slower now at 19.5 seconds rather than the 13 or lower I got in legacy.

If UEFI is the newer technology why is it slower?

Solution
Did you update chipset drivers?

I found this for the reagent error - https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/143526-reagentc-failed.html

The BIOS time in the Task manager is the time it takes the BIOS to hand control to windows, so its not windows fault bios is slow... about only changes you can make are chipset drivers, or look in the bios... but I don't suggest blindly changing things in there.

startup time doesn't seem to improve if you have an nvme, my old PC with an ssd would average 10 seconds boot time, new PC with an nvme is getting 16 seconds,... both were GPT drives.

Converting the drive type doesn't suddenly change the bios from Legacy to UEFI. It was always UEFI, it was just emulating Legacy. All you did was...

Colif

Win 11 Master

I found this for the reagent error - https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/143526-reagentc-failed.html

The BIOS time in the Task manager is the time it takes the BIOS to hand control to windows, so its not windows fault bios is slow... about only changes you can make are chipset drivers, or look in the bios... but I don't suggest blindly changing things in there.

startup time doesn't seem to improve if you have an nvme, my old PC with an ssd would average 10 seconds boot time, new PC with an nvme is getting 16 seconds,... both were GPT drives.

Converting the drive type doesn't suddenly change the bios from Legacy to UEFI. It was always UEFI, it was just emulating Legacy. All you did was swamp the boot method.

Up until about 2009, there was only 1 type of BIOS. It wasn't called legacy back then, it was just the bios. It lacked support for mice, didn't have a pretty graphic appearance, it could only be a certain size, it was only 16bit. and only supported MBR drives. It was also difficult to add new features onto.

So around 2005 a consortium of hardware/software makers got together to create a new bios scheme.

That is UEFI. UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It knows what a mouse does, has a graphical user interface, and fixes many of the weaknesses of Legacy. Main change for most of us is support of GPT drives.

While MBR has a max partition count of 4 (with tricks you can get more), the boot partition has to be 1st on drive, and max drive size is 2.2tb, GPT (GUID (Global Unique ID) Partition Table) drives can have up to 256 partition on them, boot partition doesn't even need to be on a drive in system, and max drive size is a silly 18.8 million tb.

Almost every PC made in the last 10 years has an UEFI bios. Yours always did.

Solution

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Converting the drive type doesn't suddenly change the bios from Legacy to UEFI. It was always UEFI, it was just emulating Legacy. All you did was swamp the boot method.

Up until about 2009, there was only 1 type of BIOS. It wasn't called legacy back then, it was just the bios. It lacked support for mice, didn't have a pretty graphic appearance, it could only be a certain size, it was only 16bit. and only supported MBR drives. It was also difficult to add new features onto.

So around 2005 a consortium of hardware/software makers got together to create a new bios scheme.

That is UEFI. UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It knows what a mouse does, has a graphical user interface, and fixes many of the weaknesses of Legacy. Main change for most of us is support of GPT drives.

While MBR has a max partition count of 4 (with tricks you can get more), the boot partition has to be 1st on drive, and max drive size is 2.2tb, GPT (GUID (Global Unique ID) Partition Table) drives can have up to 256 partition on them, boot partition doesn't even need to be on a drive in system, and max drive size is a silly 18.8 million tb.

Almost every PC made in the last 10 years has an UEFI bios. Yours always did.

Where would I find the chipset driver update? My BIOS before was set to Legacy + UEFI, and then I changed it to just UEFI after doing the MBR2GPT conversion. I did turn Fast Boot back on in the BIOS which got BIOS time down to 13 seconds and real world boot time (from press the button to login screen) down by 20 seconds. Just didn't activate MSI Fast Boot which is what I was using before, because that would crash if you try and access BIOS from a cold boot. You had to boot, restart and then go to BIOS. With standard fast boot, this isn't an issue