UEFI or Legacy Boot Question

asumax

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Hi guys I just wanted to ask something about this UEFI Boot.

I recently built a gaming pc
- Asus z97a
- Sapphire r9 280x tri-x (which supports eufi and legacy Boot)

Basically I have an Ssd card (only 120gb) and just wandering is it better for me to go with the UEFI boot and not put my os in the ssd and rather put it in the hdd or should I just stick with my os being in the ssd?

Which one is actually better?

Solution

It will be a little bit faster to boot up, but it will perform the same once the OS is up and running

The difference between UEFI Boot and Legacy boot is the process that the firmware uses to find the boot target.

Legacy Boot is the boot process used by BIOS firmware. The firmware maintains a list of installed storage devices that may be bootable (Floppy Disk Drives, Hard Disk Drives, Optical Disk Drives, Tape Drives, etc...) and enumerates them in a configurable order of priority. One the POST procedure has completed, the firmware loads the first sector of each of the storage targets into memory and scans it for a valid Master Boot Record (MBR). If a valid MBR is found, the firmware passes execution to the boot loader code found in the MBR which allows the user to select a partition to boot from. If one is not found, it proceeds to the next device in the boot order. If no MBR is found at all, the user is presented with the famous "Please insert system disk yadda yadda yadda"

UEFI boot is the boot process used by UEFI firmware. The firmware maintains a list of valid boot volumes called EFI Service Partitions. During the POST procedure the UEFI firmware scans all of the bootable storage devices that are connected to the system for a valid GUID Partition Table (GPT). Unlike a MBR, a GPT does not contain a boot loader. The firmware itself scans the GPTs to find an EFI Service Partition to boot from. If no EFI bootable partition is found, the firmware can fall back on the Legacy Boot method. If both UEFI boot and Legacy boot fail, the famous "Please insert system disk yadda yadda yadda" will be presented.

In general, UEFI boot is more desirable.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
"Basically I have an Ssd card (only 120gb) and just wandering is it better for me to go with the UEFI boot and not put my os in the ssd and rather put it in the hdd or should I just stick with my os being in the ssd?"

Just to be clear, the boot method has nothing to do with what drive you want to install the OS on. You want to install the OS to the SSD, otherwise why bother with the SSD?

asumax

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Oh I thought if I went for the UEFI the boot will be faster and also I was thinking that will free my ssd and save me time from moving files as atm everything that I download goes straight to my ssd including windows and driver updates

It will be a little bit faster to boot up, but it will perform the same once the OS is up and running

Solution

naidiver

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
Hi,
How do i know that my OS SSD is MBR or GPT? When i started up my pc, it didn't see my OS drive and couldn't boot.
I only know that format it and install OS(windows 2012R2) on it. Do i miss some step and cause it didn't boot?
Thanks